Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Tutor
Message 1 of 2 (1,590 Views)
Accepted Solution

OfficeJet 6500-E7709n - re-enable cartridge "chip" level monitoring

OK, slap my wrist, I was a Bad Boy. . . .  Smiley Sad

I tried to refill exhausted print cartridges on my OfficeJet 6500 - and had no end of troubles.  Yea, I know.  Brainy move Einstein!  One of the recommendations was to turn off chip ink level monitoring via the preferences menu (#7) within setup.

As I am sure you can guess, that didn't do diddle-squat, so now I want to go out & get some genuine HP cartridges.  Before I install them, I want to undo the mess I made and put things back the way they were.

Question:  How do I turn that option back ON?  Having turned it off, the option has totally disappeared from the preferences menu altogether.

I tried a "Reset Defaults", but that doesn't work.  Is there a way to turn it back on?  Absent that, is there a way to, (so to speak), nuke the printer back to the Stone Ages so that it's back to it's Out-Of-Box state?

Thanks!

Jim (J.R.)

0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Re: OfficeJet 6500-E709n - re-enable cartridge "chip" level monitoring

Update:

I figured it out!

To accomplish this, you need to do a NVRAM Reset by performing the following sequence of steps:

1. Turn power off to the printer using the power button on the front panel
  2. Using two fingers on one hand, press and hold  both the "#" and the "6" keys at the same time.
  3. Using the other hand, press the power button to turn the printer back on.
  4. Continue to hold the # and 6 keys until the display goes blank, and then lights back up again.  It will then say "Semi NVRAM Reset" - at that point you can release the # and 6 keys.  This might take a minute or two.

Once this is done, the printer will go through its "out-of-box" initial set-up routine for printing.  That is, it will attempt to re-charge the print-head by performing multiple cleaning cycles and will then run an alighnment cycle.

At that point you're done.

Hopefully that helps.

Jim (J.R.)

View solution in context
Highlighted
Tutor
Message 2 of 2 (1,565 Views)

Re: OfficeJet 6500-E709n - re-enable cartridge "chip" level monitoring

[ Edited ]

Update:

I figured it out!

To accomplish this, you need to do a NVRAM Reset by performing the following sequence of steps:

1. Turn power off to the printer using the power button on the front panel
  2. Using two fingers on one hand, press and hold  both the "#" and the "6" keys at the same time.
  3. Using the other hand, press the power button to turn the printer back on.
  4. Continue to hold the # and 6 keys until the display goes blank, and then lights back up again.  It will then say "Semi NVRAM Reset" - at that point you can release the # and 6 keys.  This might take a minute or two.

Once this is done, the printer will go through its "out-of-box" initial set-up routine for printing.  That is, it will attempt to re-charge the print-head by performing multiple cleaning cycles and will then run an alighnment cycle.

At that point you're done.

Hopefully that helps.

Jim (J.R.)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation