cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
bassman
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 29
Flag Post

OfficeJet 6500 Wireless lockup when going wireless

HP Recommended

I've just bought a Officejet 6500 wireless, but i'm having some problems.

When the printer is connected to Wired Ethernet, everything works as designed. I can print/scan and everything.

But when I setup the printer to access my wireless LAN, the printer stops responding completely, and only a power cycle can bring it back. Then it tries to connect to the wireless lan again, and continues to lock up...until I reset it by holding down # and 9 during startup.

So - Something in the wireless setup is bothering the printer. All my other units connect flawlessly (Playstation3, 3 laptops, 2 iphones and my older Canon printer)

Some details on the wireless setup:

router/ap: Cisco 871W (running IOS 12.4(15)T9 - Newest maintenance release)

SSID running on channel#1

security: WPA1-PSK (with TKIP)

allowed speeds: from 12-basic and up to 54 (I've tried lowering this without success) 

short preambles: are turned on. 

I've tried both DHCP and static IP on the printer. No luck.

- Anyone got a clue or hint?

- Anyone got this printer to work wirelessly, please post your network config for me to try out

- Anyone with this printer please post firmware release...perhaps a known error? 

Any help will be greatly appriciated 

Regards,

Lasse 

0 Kudos
28 REPLIES 28
Wi-Fi-Guy
Level 8
1,537 1,533 81 399
Message 2 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've gotten my Officejet J6500 to work wirelessly on D-Link, Netgear and Linksys routers but I haven't tried with a Cisco router like the 871W.

Who provides your broadband service?

I know you said you tried setting a static IP address in the printer. How did you try doing this?

Are you trying to connect the printer to the wireless-network from the front panel wireless setup wizard?

When you are trying to setup the printer, when does it lock up?

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
0 Kudos
jdevine
Level 1
10 10 0 0
Message 3 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm having exactly the same problem. My new officejet 6500 locks up daily and must be power-cycled. It's very frustrating. I am using the printer wirelessly. My router is a Cisco Linksys WRT160N. The lock-up behavior is inconsistent and I can't repeat it with a specific action. The printer locks-up when idle for several hours. My WiFi security settings are the same as yours.

Jason

0 Kudos
Wi-Fi-Guy
Level 8
1,537 1,533 81 399
Message 4 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So you're using WPA-PSK TKIP, right?

Let's try an experiment:  from the WRT160N, increase the WPA-PSK Key Renewal period from the default 3600 seconds to the max value of 9999.  You can find this setting under the Wireless->Wireless Security tab in the WRT160N.

Also, what version of FW are you running in the WRT160N (located in the upper right hand corner)? 

( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
0 Kudos
jdevine
Level 1
10 10 0 0
Message 5 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yep, WPA-PSK TKIP. I assigned a static IP a few hours ago and it hasn't locked again, but that's not conclusive because it typically locks once per day.

Ok, Cisco FW SW version 1.02.2 

I can't set Key Renewal to 9999, says value is 600 - 7200. I assume that a value of 9999 disables key renewal. So I set it at 600 to see if it dies in the next 10 minutes.

Jason

0 Kudos
jdevine
Level 1
10 10 0 0
Message 6 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended
And whala, it locked in about 10 minutes.
0 Kudos
Wi-Fi-Guy
Level 8
1,537 1,533 81 399
Message 7 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What version hardware of the WRT160N do you have?  If you turn over the router, the product label on the bottom will say Model No: WRT160N followed by the version number.  For the WRT160N, the version numbers will be either V1, V2 or V3.

Also, how old is your WRT160N? 

0 Kudos
jdevine
Level 1
10 10 0 0
Message 8 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It's version 1 and it's about 7 months old.

jason

0 Kudos
Wi-Fi-Guy
Level 8
1,537 1,533 81 399
Message 9 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I found a Linksys WRT160N V1, with firmware version v1.02.2.

We're setting up test now in the test lab with our Officejet 6500. I'll let you know what we find.

0 Kudos
riftforce
Level 2
15 12 1 0
Message 10 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended

First off, I admit that I know nothing about networks, I just know how my personal network is set up and operates.

I have my printer working with a similar setup, just don't have internet access while it is on, but here's my basic set up.

Printer: Officejet 6500 e709n printer set as wireless network printer.

Router: Linksys wrt160n v2 (latest upgrades)

IP address:  static IP address at 192.168.1.100

make sure you have the correct MAC address for your wireless printer as they are two different MAC addresses for wired and wireless.

manual wireless configuration with wide channel 3, standard channel 11 (2.46 Ghz).  SSID broadcast enabled, WPA2 with TKIP or AES

Again, noting that I admit not knowing about networking, I can at least suggest one or two ideas for you to try.

1) There is an IP conflict.  Setting the static IP address and upping the allowed number of users may help with that.

2) If you set up the printer as wireless, I suggest using the built-in wireless set-up wizard in the printer (Option 8 - network setup, then option 4 - wireless wizard setup).

3)If you did try setting a static IP address on the printer, make sure you use the correct MAC address.  There is one for the wired part, and a DIFFERENT one for wireless access. 

The other thing I did that helped me determine if there were actually problems with the network was the free Network Magic program.  It tells you all the details of each device attached to your network, including their IP addresses, MAC addresses and details about each device.  Being free, does a good job of helping you determine the best set up for your network and works you through some of the kinks.  Also alerts you to problems that you may not know about.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation