cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
brokenprinter12
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

OfficeJet 6600 ADF does not detect paper

HP Recommended
Officejet 6600

Hello,

When I put a piece of paper into the Auto Document Feeder (ADF), the paper is not detected.  There is no chime noise and it will only scan/copy from the glass. 

I know there is a mechanical linkage that the paper presses when inserted.  The linkage moves another piece of plastic that is visible on the underside of the feeder.  It appears this white plastic piece is supposed to be detected optically through the glass somehow.  The piece seems to move fine, and the glass in that area is clean.  Any ideas?  Thanks

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
X-23
Retired
Retired
4,555 4,127 319 700
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @brokenprinter12,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I see that your HP Officejet 6600 e-All-in-One Printer is not recognizing paper as loaded in the automatic document feeder. I would like to assist you today with troubleshooting this issue. There is the chance that a Firmware programming issue is occuring within the printer that it causing the paper sensor to not respond when paper is loaded. There is also a chance that a hardware failure has occured within the document feeder. Therefore, to isolate this issue I am going to have you run through some standard document feeder troubleshooting steps. Please follow the steps below.

Step 1: Check for Jams or Debris:

1. Press the Power button to turn OFF the printer.

2. Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

3. Remove any originals from the document feeder tray.

Image: Remove any originals.

4. Lift the cover of the ADF until it stops.

Image: Lift the ADF cover.

5. Check for any jammed paper in the rear of the ADF.

6. Gently grasp any jammed paper in the ADF with both hands, and then pull the paper slowly but firmly upward to remove it.

7. Lift the tab located on the front edge of the ADF to raise the ADF mechanism.

8. Gently grasp any jammed paper in the ADF mechanism, and then pull the paper slowly but firmly upward to remove it.

9. Close the ADF cover.

10. Plug in and power the machine back ON

11. Once ON, load a blank sheet of plain white paper in the document feeder. Listen for the chime that paper is detected, or look on display of printer for 'Document Loaded' or 'Original Loaded' message. Should issue persist, please proceed to the next step.

(Source)

Step 2: Clean Document Feeder:

Gather the Following Materials:

1. Several clean, soft, lint-free cloths
  2. Distilled or bottled water

How to Clean:

1. Power OFF the printer.

2. Disconnect the power cable from the rear of machine.

3. Remove all originals from the document feeder tray.

4. Lift the automatic document feeder cover (1). This provides easy access to the rollers (2) and separator pad (3).

Untitled.png

5. Lightly dampen a clean lint-free cloth with distilled water, then squeeze any excess liquid from the cloth.

6. Use the damp cloth to wipe any residue off the rollers or separator pad.

NOTE: If the residue does not come off using distilled water, try using isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol.

7. Close the cover of the automatic document feeder.

8. Plug in and power ON printer

9. Once printer returns to Ready state, load a blank sheet of plain white paper in the document feeder. Listen for the chime that paper is detected, or look on display of printer for 'Document Loaded' or 'Original Loaded' message. Should issue persist, please proceed to the next step. 

(Source)

Step 3: Check Power:

Please make sure your printer is plugged directly into a wall outlet for power. Power strips and surge protectors may cause printers to lack power and not perform properly. Once plugged directly into the wall outlet, please test the document feeder to confirm if the issue has been resolved. Should issue persist, please proceed.

Step 4: Update Firmware:

Please click here for instructions on updating the Firmware from the front panel of your printer. If your machine is not networked, and instead connected through a USB Cable connection we will need to manually download and 'send' the Firmware to your printer. If we need to download and run the Firmware Update manually, what operating system are you using?

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. If you feel that the steps I've provided resolved your issue, please mark my post as a Solution so other users of the HP Support Forums can find these steps quickly and easily. I look forward to hearing from you. Good luck! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
brokenprinter12
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I tried all these steps including updating the firmware.  No change.  I noticed that the screen says "original loaded" all the time, regardless of if anything is in the printer.  Anything else I can check? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
X-23
Retired
Retired
4,555 4,127 319 700
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @brokenprinter12,

Thanks for getting back to me regarding this issue. 🙂

Because your machine always shows 'Original Loaded' there is likely a programming failure occuring within your machine that is causing it to 'think' paper is constantly loaded in the document feeder. To resolve this issue I am going to send you a Private Message with the instructions for how to perform a Semi-Full Programming Reset on your machine.

Please refer to your Private Messages for further instruction. 

Good luck! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
brokenprinter12
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I did the semi-full reset, and the printer still says "original loaded" all the time.  Is there a "full" reset or does this printer need sledge hammer treatment?

0 Kudos
X-23
Retired
Retired
4,555 4,127 319 700
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @brokenprinter12,

Thanks again for getting back to me regarding this issue.

There Semi-Full Reset is the highest level Reset we can attempt. Because your machine still indicates 'Original Loaded' the document feeder paper sensor is defective. A whole unit replacement would be required to resolve the issue. A sledge hammer would be an alternative method, but I don't think we'll find that step in any support documents! haha

On a serious note though, should you want to explore hardware options I would recommend that you give our Technical Support queue a call. Technical Support can be reached at: [edited]. This is the North America support number. If you are located elsewhere, let me know and I can get you the correct phone number.

It's been a pleasure working with you. I wish you luck going forward with this! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
smh224
1 1 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

i'm having same problem, can i get the reset doc. too?

0 Kudos
MaryCM1
2 2 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My OfficeJet 6600 recently just stopped automatically document feeding - usually when I put paper in the feeder, I don't even get any message saying original loaded. I tried all the suggestions posted on your site, including shutting on & off, re-installing/updating the printer through wifi, and cleaning the rollers.  Now it NEVER shows original loaded when i've put a piece of paper or a document into the feeder.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation