Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 7740 Wide Format
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have A3 plain paper in Tray 2.  I want to print A3 Borderless.  Printer Preferences will not allow me to set A3, Tray 2, Plain Paper, Borderless=On.  I've tried setting the Default Tray to Tray 2 and setting to print to the Default tray but it still tries to print from Tray 1 and errors with paper mismatch.  If I put the A3 Tray 2 in the slot for Tray 1, it will print A3 borderless but not from slot 2.

42 REPLIES 42
HP Recommended

Hello, @Brian_Davies – Hope you are well 🙂

Welcome to the HP Forum! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips!

I understand that you are facing issues while printing A3-borderless from tray 2. To fix this issue, you need to make sure that your printing preferences under the actual printer and the program you are using to print. Follow the steps below:

1. Go to Control Panel – Devices and printers.
  2. Right-click on Officejet 7740 and select “Printing Preferencesces”.
  3. Under the Paper/Quality tab, change your paper type and the paper size. 
  4. Also, check the borderless printing option. Check under the "Advanced" tab as well.
  5. Now, come to the program that you are using to print and check.

NB: Borderless printing will not work when you use 2-sided printing.

Those steps should do the trick, let me know the outcome!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hi DVortex,

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

I had already set this up but I've double checked it now.   At your step 3 I've got Paper Size: A3, Paper Source: Tray 2, Paper Type: Plain Paper, Borderless Printing: On, Print Quality: Normal, Print in Grayscale: Off.  I click OK and get:

"Selection conflicts were encountered.  Would you like them auto-resolved?

Borderless Printing: On

Paper type: Plain Paper"

I've tried all the possible paper types and none of them are accepted with Borderless On.

As I said, it's weird because if I put the A3 tray in the top slot it print OK so I know the printer can print A3 borderless.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Brian

HP Recommended

Hello, @Brian_Davies

Is the issue only while making a borderless A3 from the tray 2? Try A3 from tray 2 and check.

Also, try making an A3 copy. Place a document (A4 or A3) in the scanner glass, press the copy option. Go to copy settings change the tray preference, and change other relevant settings and make a copy. 

If the copy works fine, then the issue could be with the drivers. Try to reinstall the drivers and check:

• Unplug the USB cable from the printer and computer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Officejet printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Now click on http://hp.care/2pyZRpK to download and install the printer drivers.
  • Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.

Now, try the settings and check the printing.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hi DVortex,

I've installed OJ7740__Full_WebPack_1976.exe onto another Windows 10 x64 PC which has not had the 7740 driver installed before.  The printer is connected by network cable so is available to any workstation on my LAN.

The printer does print A3 on Plain Paper (with a border) OK.

What I've now discovered is that with A3 plain paper installed in Tray 1 I can select A3 borderless with all available default paper types except Plain Paper, Plain Paper, Thick and Plain Paper, Light/Recycled.  I have in fact successfully printed A3 borderless with the paper type set to "HP Glossy Brochure or Professional Paper" (and presumably I could have selected any of the others except the Plain Paper types I've listed above).  It will NOT allow me to select A3 with borderless and any of the 3 Plain Paper types.

Is there some obscure, valid reason for excluding Plain Paper from borderless printing or is this a software or firmware error?

Regards

Brian

HP Recommended

We have the same problem. If we select say Photo paper borderless=on then no conflict is flagged. However with plain paper and borderless=on a conflict is flagged. This does look like a bug given the printer is physically able to print borderless. Has the HP adviser actually tried this out? [The printer was purchased and set up just 4 days ago].

HP Recommended

Hi @rgspaces,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you are facing borderless printing issues with your 
HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 Wide Format All-in-One Printer.

Let's go through a few steps that may help to fix this issue.

And here are a few steps listed below:

1. Load paper in the tray.

2. On the File menu in your software application, click Print.

3. Make sure the printer you want to use is selected.

4. To change settings, click the button that opens the Properties dialog box. Depending on your software application, this button might be called Properties, Options, Printer Setup, Printer, or Preferences.

5. Click the Paper/Quality tab, and then click the Advanced button.

6. In the Borderless Printing option, click Print Borderless, and then click the OK button.

7. In the Media drop-down list, select the appropriate paper type.

8. Click OK, and then click Print or OK to begin printing.

Let me know how this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Sorry, Rainbow23, have you actually tried doing exactly as you suggest? I have (and that's what I reported in my original message and it's very similar to the message reported by the originator of this thread).

In its simple form the problem is this:

Select Plain Paper AND Borderless printing and it tells you there is a conflict

Select something like Photo Paper Borderless and it will do borderless printing.

Is there some reason that plain paper cannot be printed borderless? If this were so I would not have bought this printer as borderless was one of its attractions.

Please please try this for yourself and make sure it works for you and then find out why it isn't working for us rather than repeat what we have already said.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

rgspaces has put it very clearly.  Please stop telling us how to set up a printer and instead check out why selecting A3, borderless, Plain Paper reports a conflict.  This seems a most basic requirement which this printer refuses to do.

Regards.

HP Recommended

Hi @rgspaces,

Thank you for your reply, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that the issue still persists after following the steps provided in the previous interaction.

This issue could occur if the drivers are not installed properly.

Let's go through a few steps to uninstall and reinstall the drivers:

Step 1: Uninstall the Drivers:

Please follow the steps provided to uninstall the printer software in the link: Uninstalling the Printer Software (Windows)

Also, please follow the steps provided below to completely remove the printer software from printer properties.

Steps to remove printer driver files from Print Server Properties:

1. Open the Print Server Properties dialog window by doing one of the following:
    • Click the Start menu and in the search field type 'printui /s /t2' (without the quotes), and then press Enter or click it in the search list.
    • Press WINDOWS-R on the keyboard to bring up the Run window, type in 'printui /s /t2' (without the quotes), and then press Enter or click OK.
    • From the Start menu or the Start screen:
    • Open Devices and Printers.
    • Select any printer and then click "Print server properties" at the top of the window.
    • Click on the Drivers tab.
  2. Select the printer driver you wish to uninstall.
  3. Click the Remove button.
  4. Select "Remove driver and driver package" and click OK.

Step 2: Download and install the Drivers from the link: Full Feature Software and Drivers

Let me know how this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.