cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
glazzjoe
Level 1
15 12 0 0
Message 1 of 15
Flag Post

OfficeJet 8720 Will Not Print Anything from the MS Office Suite

HP Recommended
OfficeJet 8720
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just bought this printer Friday and for some reason this printer will not print anything from MS Office 2016 (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc) and it will also not print a test page from the printer properties screen. It will, however, print from notepad and pdf files. I have uninstalled/reinstallaed the software (full and basic drivers) numberous times and cannot for the life of me figure out why I am having this trouble. I really hope someone can help me out with this otherwise I guess I'll be returning it next week.

I had zero problems finding the printer wirelessly and setting everything up was a breeze. No errors or issues of any kind during setup. I just can't print from any Office products or use the "print test page" function in Windows 10. The HP Printer scan tool test page print works fine, though. Anyone??

0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
jabzi
Level 13
Level 13
6,410 6,384 513 1,113
Message 2 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, 

Please try the below steps ...

1> Please download and run the HP Print and Scan Doctor from www.hp.com/go/tools

If issue still persists, click HERE  to access the steps that should resolve the issue .

Regards,
Jabzi

Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the "thumps Up icon" .

Click "Accept as Solution" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
0 Kudos
glazzjoe
Author
Level 1
15 12 0 0
Message 3 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Jabzi,

I had already accomplished those steps, but did them again anyway but still have the same issues. the Print/Scan Doctor finds the printer but does not identify there are any issues. It prints a test page (patterns) from the Print/Scan Doctor utility just fine.

Like I mention above, I can print from notepad and pdf files. I cannot, however, print a test page from the control panel/hardware/printers function when selecting the printer/printer properties, which is odd. The most annoying part is that I cannot print anything using the Microsoft Office suite which is a requirement for me.

This printer is replacing the OfficeJet 8500+ which has worked flawlessly for 4 years until recently.

0 Kudos
jabzi
Level 13
Level 13
6,410 6,384 513 1,113
Message 4 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

It seems to be an issue with the MS Office suite.

Please try the below steps..

Open Word, Click on File > Options > Advanced.

Under section "When Printing this document", uncheck the below

"Print only the data from a form"
     "Print_PostScript over text"

Click OK.

Close Word application

Open the Word file that you want to print. Iam sure it whould work now.

Regards,
Jabzi

0 Kudos
glazzjoe
Author
Level 1
15 12 0 0
Message 5 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I followed those steps and those two boxes were already unchecked. I tried printing from Word and I still have the same problems.

While a problem definitely resides with my ability to print from the MS Office suite of programs (not just Word but Outlook as well), I also cannot get the basic "Print Test Page" function to work within the Windows 10 Control Panel which means the problem is not only MS Office specific.

I appreciate the tips in an effort to resolve my issue and am hoping one of them eventually works.

0 Kudos
sanjiwolf
Level 5
Level 5
169 169 12 26
Message 6 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Good day.

Looking at the issue posted, if I understand correctly:

Able to print - PDF

Unable to print - MS Office and test print

Would like to check if there is any error message or what happen to the print queue (from the right corner of the computer desktop) when sending print job over?

Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumbs up in the post that helped you. 🙂
0 Kudos
glazzjoe
Author
Level 1
15 12 0 0
Message 7 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sanjiwolf,

Here are the results when I try and print from Windows 10 Printer Properties "Test Page" and the MS Office Suite programs. During each one of these attmepts, I have the printer queue window open to see what it does.

Window 10 "Test Page": I hit the button to print the test page. A print job will flash into the print queue for  split second then disappear. I then get and an error that says "Test page failed to print. Would you like to view the print troubleshooter for assistance?" Each time I say "yes" to run the troubleshooter, it does not find any issues with the rpinter and doesn't resolve anything.

MS Office Outlook: With an email open, I hit the print button. A print job will flash into the print queue for a split second then disappear. I then get an error that says "Printer not ready."

MS Office Word: With a document open, I hit print. A print job will flash into the print queue for  split second then disappear. I do not get an error messages when trying to print through Word and nothing prints.

MS Office Excel: With a spreadsheet open, I hit print. A print job will flash into the print queue for  split second then disappear. I then get an error that says "Your file could not be printed due to an error on HP15DF4E (HP OfficeJet Pro 8720) on ."

I can successfully print documents from Notepad and some Adobe pdf files. I have come across a few pdf files that would not print. On the pdf files that will not print, the print queue will react the same way as above but nothing prints.

Please let me know what is next - thanks.

0 Kudos
glazzjoe
Author
Level 1
15 12 0 0
Message 8 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Anymore ideas??

0 Kudos
jabzi
Level 13
Level 13
6,410 6,384 513 1,113
Message 9 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Lets try one more step..

******** ( if the printer is connected with USB ) ********

Click START > Device and Printer > Add a Printer > Add a local printer >

Select "Use Existing Port " then Virtual USB from drop down  , Click NEXT, in the Manufacturing list , select HP / Hewlett packard, and from the right pane , select Deskjet 6980 and complete the wizard

OR

*******( if printer is on Network, ) **************

Click START > Device and Printer > Add a Printer > Add a local printer > Select "Create a New Port" > type in the Printer's IP address Click NEXT, in the Manufacturing list , select HP / Hewlett packard, and from the right pane , select Deskjet 6980 and complete the wizard

Now try printing using Deskjet 6980, hope it should work.

Regards,
Jabzi

0 Kudos
glazzjoe
Author
Level 1
15 12 0 0
Message 10 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So I've decided to go with a clean slate and format/reinstall windows 10. Once a fresh install was in place, the printer worked fine. I added programs one by one and everything continued to work... until I installed Adobe Acrobat Pro XI. Apparently AAPro doesn't play nicely with the this printer's drivers/software package. Regardless what I attempted, including uninstalling the AAPro software, I could not get the printer to act right again and print using MS Office products or print a test page. I had to format/reinsatll Winodws 10 a second time and have left AAPro off completely. So far so good.

It is disappointing that I cannot use my Acrobat program but I can probably do fine without it for now. HP should really invest some time into determining what the conflict is between the two software packages because it is an inconvenience.

Thanks for your attempt to help to this point and I hope HP invests some time into working on a fix!

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation