Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8620
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This is my third OfficeJet and, as with the others, the ADF often skips and stutters when scanning or copying a single or several pages of plain paper. The clean, unglossy page is taken into the ADF and then, as it pulls the paper into the ADF, the ADF stutters and skips as it processes the page. The resulting scan or copy then shows various lines of print smeared as though dragged across the scanner.

I've had 3 HP OfficeJet Pro printers and they ALL have had this problem and my only workaround is scanning/copying from the glass and waiting for the OfficeJet printer to "cure" itself.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello, @Dward_Farquard – Hope you are well 🙂

Welcome back to the HP Support Forums! I’d like to help with the printer issues!

I see that you are facing paper feed issues with the Officejet printer. I’d suggest you update the printer firmware and to clean the ADF mechanism to fix this issue.

Go to http://hp.care/2ptjjHb to download and update the firmware. Restart the printer once done.

Now, go to http://hp.care/2pzM19K and follow the steps under Solution 3: Clean the paper feed and pick rollers. Check the steps which help you clean the rollers and separator pads inside the ADF.

Those steps should do the trick, let me know the outcome!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

My OfficeJet 8620 already has the latest firmware: v32.3. And I have followed the instructions you indicated -- cleaning the  paper feed and pick rollers (which is a good maintenance process in any case.)

However, I am NOT referring to the ADF for the paper tray; the ADF for the paper tray function perfectly well: no issues with feeding single pages and no problems with duplex feeding, etc. I am referring to the ADF on top of the printer. If a single page is put through the top ADF for copying or scanning there is a 50% chance the top ADF will jerk and stutter the paper through the feeder and the resulting copy/scan will have various lines of print streaked on the copy/scan.

I'd love to hear your suggestions unfortunately this ADF jerking was also an issue with my previous OfficeJet Pro 5600 that was never able to be remedied.

HP Recommended

Hello, @Dward_Farquard

I do understand that you were referring to the ADF (Top feeder) 🙂

Let's try making some blank copies using the ADF. Feed 20 - 30 blank sheets in the ADF and make copies of the same using the printer control panel. There won't be any ink utilized since these are blank copies.

Once done, restart the printer and then try making another single sheet scan using the ADF.

Thanks, I'll watch for your reply!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Sorry, aftere feeding approximately 25 blank pages through the top ADF, the top ADF continues to click when accepting the first 2-3 inches of whatever paper is feed into it. This clicking/stuttering occured with each of the 25 pages. If there had been printing on the paper inserted into the ADF the copy would have had the tell-tale streaked lines.

HP Recommended

@Dward_Farquard

It looks like you were interacting with @Dvortex, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 

I'm the Riddle_Decipher & I'm at your service. 

I reviewed your conversation and it seems like we are at the end of the line, considering the steps you've done and mentioned about in your recent post among others, this seems to be a hardware failure.

I recommend you Contact HP for a hardware repair/replacement of your printer:

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. 

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well, 

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.