Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8740
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

The printer looks to be online but when trying to print/scan it is unreachable by the computer.

The network icon on the printer shows as it it was connected to the network.

It is on the wifi network through a comcast modem.

Powercycling the printer fixes the isue temporarly.

The printer answers sometimes pings and some other not.

Latest firmware WEBPDLPP1N001.1602D.00

HP2.pngHP.png

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi @Sanrivera

Thank you for joining the HP Forums! 

I saw your post on how your PC is unable to communicate with your HP OfficeJet Pro 8740 printer over the network. I am happy to help! 

Please try the steps within this guide, Printer is Offline (Windows), and let me know the results!

If this helps, please consider clicking on 'accept as solution.' And, please click on the thumbs up icon. Both icons are below this post.

Hope this guide helps! 🙂

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

Printer still not answering consistently to pings, shows connected and available. When trying to print or scan sometimes I can sometimes I can't.

BTW I replaced the printer and still have the same problem.

I think HP must revise this product's WiFi module. It is not that it is not working it is just that the WiFi connection is so inconsistent and unstable that some times the printer does not respond.

HP Recommended

Hi Sanrivera,

Thank you for your response! 

Please try the following: 

Disable Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) (network connections only)

In some network environments, disabling SNMP has been shown to fix printer offline problems.

1. Search Windows for devices, and then select Devices and Printers in the list of results.

2. Right-click the name of your printer, and then select Printer Properties.

3. Click the Ports tab.

4. Select the TCP/IP port being used, and then click Configure Port.

5. Remove the checkmark from SNMP Status Enabled, and then click OK.

6. Try printing again.

If the problem persists, repeat these steps and re-enable SNMP.

Disable IPv6 (network connections only)

Disable IPv6 on the printer to make sure IPv4 is used by your printer and router on your network.

• If your printer has a control panel with a display, find the IPv6 setting from the Advanced network settings menu, and set it to Off orDisabled.

• If your printer does not have a display, use the Embedded Web Server (EWS) to turn off IPv6.

1. From a computer connected to your network, type the IP address for your printer into the URL field of your Internet browser.

NOTE:

If the webpage appears blank, try a different Internet browser.

2. Click the Network or Networking tab, and then open the section or page for your network type: wired or wireless.

3. Select Enable IPv4 only (or similar).

Figure : Example of setting IPv4

Embedded Web Server on Network page with Enable IPv4 only selected
    4. Click Apply, and then wait until the changes are confirmed.

5. Try printing again.

Move the wireless printer closer to the router

Move the printer and the computer closer to your wireless router. Additionally, remove any objects or devices between the printer, the computer, and the router that can interfere with wireless signals, such as metal bookcases, microwave ovens, fluorescent lights, or cordless phones.

Try connecting the printer to another computer

If you have access to another computer, install the print driver from the HP website and try connecting the printer using the same type of connection.

• If the new connection works, you know that the printing problem is related to the computer, and you might need to uninstall the printer software and set it up again.

• If the new connection does not work, then the printer might need to be serviced or printed to using a different type of connection.

If you are able to reach some resolution, please click on Accept Solution. If you appreciate my help, please click on the thumbs up icon. Both icons are below this post.

Hope this post helps! 🙂

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

Hi @Sanrivera

Thanks for using the HP Forums.  Apologies for jumping in here.

Can you check the settings in your Comcast router and see if there is a Virtual VPN?  Please turn that off.

Let us know if it helps in your issue.

Else, can you create a TCP/IP port?

Create a TCP IP port

1. Print a Configuration Page to get the printer's IPv4 address (you can also tap on the wireless icon on the Front panel of your Printer to get the IP address)
2. On your PC, go to Control Panel, from Devices and Printers, right click the printer and left click Printer Properties, select the Ports tab.
3. Click Add Port, select Standard TCP/IP Port, then select New Port and follow the wizard.
4. Type in the proper IP address for the printer.

This video resource will show you how to do it:

Create & Use TCP IP port
https://goo.gl/BBI671

Note that you can ALWAYS revert back to the original port that the HP software installed by selecting the HP port under the Ports tab (in Printer Properties)

Let us know if that works

Thanks.

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

HP Recommended

I already did it before your suggestion and it didn’t work. I genuinely thing there is a firmware problem or a hardware issue with the Wi-Fi module.

I replaced my 8740 for a new one and the same behavior. Inconsistent ping answering.

The router and none other device never misses a single ping.

I'm a tech person with relatively high IP communications skills. 

The HP6000 series I had in my house at the same spot worked fine until my library fall into it.

HP.png

HP Recommended

I forgot to mention that due to this, web services, email printing and Wi-Fi printing/scanning don’t work really smooth. I need to power cycle my printer several times to make it work. 

HP Recommended

RnRMusicMan I tried all that, nothing works. Pinging is instable. It is very difficult to use the web browser: communication drops very frequently.

HP Recommended

After 2 calls and an hour and 19 minutes tech support logged into my PC and did the following:

• netsh winsock reset running as admin
  • power-cycled laptop, router and printer
  • logged into my router and modified Wi-Fi configuration to use manually channel 11
  • mode 802.11 b/g/n
  • WPAWPA2-PSK (TKIP/AES)
  • Assigned again a fix IP
  • disconnected the printer from the AC for 2 minutes

Thanks tech support!

HP Recommended

Too early to be true.

Unfortunately in the afternoon the behavior started to be present again. Printer disconnected from the network.

Another 29 minutes with Techsupport and they said Engineering will call me next week.

Regards,

Santiago

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.