cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
emacblane
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OfficeJet V40 wont finish print job

Has anybody a fix for this? I switched to a Windows 7 premium 64 operating system and my 8 year old Officejet V40 all in one wont finish a print job. It stops in the middle of the page, sometimes on page 1, sometimes on page 2, etc. Print test page does seem to work, also I installed 2 new cartridges. Troubleshooter doesn't find any problem, all I can do is cancel print job.

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
sunilhegde10
1 1 0 0
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

can some one pls help, iv a officejet v40 printer its not getting detecting in my new pc having OS windows 7

but its getting getting in XP in my laptop
thk u

0 Kudos
skabk
2 2 0 0
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You are not alone.  I am having the same problem with my OfficeJet V40.  It ran flawlessly on XP for many years, but I cannot get a complete printout on Windows 7 x64.  I followed the installation instructions on the web site (http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01796879), and it installed with no problems, and says it has the most current driver available, but I still can't get a print job to complete without an error.  Customer Support hasn't been much help yet, other than to regurgitate the info from the web site. 

I'm thinking maybe it has something to do with the Core i5 processor overwhelming the print buffer, but that's just a guess.  I've tried playing with the print spooling and print processor settings, but it didn't help.  I am currently waiting for another reply from Customer Support.  I’ll post a fix if I ever get one.  Right now, I’m thinking the only fix is to buy a new printer.

0 Kudos
kmrahe
6 5 0 0
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same problem on a new HP HPE-350t with a Core i7 860.  HP had a "fix" to an early version of the driver for this printer for systems with "fast" CPUs.  One would presume that the fix is included in later versions of the driver, but perhaps CPU speeds have increased so much that they've crossed another threshhold that necessitates further measures.  But with Microsoft now providing the driver, who do I talk to?

Interestingly, I experience the same symptoms with a circa 2001 Dell Pentium 4 box when the printer is connected via a USB 2.0 hub, rather than directly to a USB (1.0) port built into the computer or a USB 2.0 PCI card.  Since it works when connected to the latter, I've ruled out that it's a USB 1.0 vs. 2.0 issue.

I hate the thought of having to buy a new printer, but if I can be convinced that consumable prices would be lower, perhaps I'll consider it.  Sometimes you're just so comfortable with an old dog that you're just not eager to get a new one.

0 Kudos
kmrahe
6 5 0 0
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Support is a dead-end on this one.  After weeks of back & forth e-mails I got into an endless loop of them asking me to try installing various drivers for printers that I don't have to see if they would work, it not working, then getting back to the point of them asking me to install a driver for a different printer...

I finally decided to post a message in Microsoft's queue, since they seem to be more directly responsible than HP for the driver for this printer under Windows 7 and Vista (as well as 64-bit XP):

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7hardware/thread/b37f6d61-cae3-4936-92c6-db8ad7be8...

0 Kudos
tday
5 5 0 0
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I too have this.  For what it's worth, my specs are:

A brand new Acer Aspire X3950 with Intel core i3 540 at 3.07 GHz.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

The printer (ok, All-in-one) is the v40xi.

0 Kudos
tday
5 5 0 0
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The problem is still here.  I currently suspect my Win7 64-bit OS installed an in-OS driver for the x40vi that is a 32-bit driver, and that no 64-bit driver exists.  HP neither confirms nor denies this assessment.  Microsoft suggested I run my new PC in 32-bit mode, an option I'm reluctant to try.  I bought a 64-bit computer, guys!  Whether HP is at fault for certifying the driver for use in 64-bit environments, or Windows 7 is doing something wrong, I don't know.

0 Kudos
Binary_Zen
Level 7
821 820 33 165
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Have you guys tried using a different driver (like a deskjet 5550) for this printer? I am just wondering if a different driver will work.

Binary_Zen (worked at HP )

Click the white Kudos star to say thanks
Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem
0 Kudos
nwdigital
Level 1
7 7 0 0
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Fixed it!    Running a Dell Inspiron 17R with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.  I5 Processor.   v40xi would only print about 1/4 of test page and would error out.  I deleted the Print Job and it continued to fail.  Tried different printer drivers from about 20 different printers.  No Luck.  Then I used a USB hub between the printer and the pc and IT Worked so I knew it was now an issue with the USB port its' self.  I used Drivermax to update all USB drivers for ports, host, etc... anything to do with USB.  Also change Printer Advanced Settings to "start printing after last page is spooled.   Connected direct to the USB port on the PC, IT Works!!!  7 hours later....

0 Kudos
nwdigital
Level 1
7 7 0 0
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Looks like a USB Device Driver Problem instead of a printer device driver problem.  You never know what it is for sure until you fix it....

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation