cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Lolalu
1 0 0 1
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Officejet 4500 Scanner failure. Unable to scan, copy or send a fax

Our HP Officejet 4500 All-in-One Printer - G510g was working fine for printing, copying and scanning until a family member hit a bunch of buttons to stop it in the middle of copying because he noticed the paper bed was empty.  After that, the printer flashed the message: Scanner failure, unable to scan, copy or send a fax.

I tried troubleshooting using the guided soloutions, installed some HP device that scans my printer for trouble, followed suggestions about unplugging various plugs and replugging to different power sources--all result in the same error message.

This printer is out of warranty but has only been used about 5 months. It sat safely in storage in a bedroom for a year before we hooked it up. I've read lots of posts about this error message. Some responses from HP indicate the scanner bulb is out, or that the scanner "is just gone" and the printer would need to be replaced. We hardly ever scan/copy, usually just use it to print, so it's hard to accept the bulb is out or the only solution is to buy another printer.  I've also read fix instructions from HP support that go on and on and sound way over my computer skills, not to mention my limited attention span for fixing equipment I just need to work.

Please help.  Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
Level 9
2,840 2,849 192 605
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Lolalu,

I'd like to help.  Have you tried a hard reset as described in the following link?  Click Here  If not, I recommend giving that a try.

If that doesn't work, a semi full reset could be tried.  If successful, the printer would be reset to factory defaults and the memory would be cleared.  I can send the steps to you in a private post.  I would need for you to agree not to publish the steps.  Let me know if you want to give that a try.

Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.

I appreciate your input ! ___________________________________ _____

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
0 Kudos
Zeblon
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This printer is out of warranty but has only been used about 5 months. It sat safely in storage in a bedroom for a year before we hooked it up. I've read lots of posts about this error message. Some responses from HP indicate the scanner bulb is out, or that the scanner "is just gone" and the printer would need to be replaced. We hardly ever scan/copy, usually just use it to print, so it's hard to accept the bulb is out or the only solution is to buy another printer. I've also read fix instructions from HP support that go on and on and sound way over my computer skills, not to mention my limited attention span for fixing equipment I just need to work. HP must just give us accurate solution because it seems as hardware failure, mis-communication of devices inside the printer (Technical programming of devices. I am qualified IT Professional.
0 Kudos
Blava
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I called HP Service and their solution was to buy a new one.
So I dismantled the scanner, replugged cables and the scanner is working like new one.

0 Kudos
biggieklex
3 3 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

open the printer, move the carriage from the far right back to left (where its supposed to be) couple it back power it and it will work. if you cant open your printer get a qualified tech. to do it for you

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation