Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question
Officejet 4500 printer won't scan on new Windows 8 computer
Replies (24)

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Tutor
Message 11 of 25 (2,627 Views)

Re: Officejet 4500 printer won't scan on new Windows 8 computer

I don't  know how to access the status of these ports.  I see a list of allowed apps but not what you show.  Can you tell me how to see  staus of these ports?  Thanks.

Master's Graduate
Message 12 of 25 (2,618 Views)

Hi stude259,

This is indeed a strange case.   Running Windows Fax and Scan or Paint should have worked fine.  It's indeed odd that it gets 1/2 way thru a preview and then hangs.    Do you have to power cycle the device or computer to get it working again?

It could be an issue with USB port or connectivity on your new WIndows 8 system.   Unlikely, but possible.   Are you able to attempt to install the device via the Network cable to your home network as a test?  

Jeremy

I am an HP employee, however, this content reflects my personal opinion and is in no way associated with HP.
Regents Professor
Message 13 of 25 (2,606 Views)

Thank you for the added input, Fish, and if you want to access those ports you can contact MS support direclty and see if they will open them or simply turn off the Windows Fire Wall (you can turn it back on after). 

-Spencer 

Master's Graduate
Message 14 of 25 (2,601 Views)

Hi Spencer-

No problem.   But I doubt the ports are an issue in this case as this customer is connected USB, and firewall/port issues would not apply there.  

Jeremy

I am an HP employee, however, this content reflects my personal opinion and is in no way associated with HP.
Tutor
Message 15 of 25 (2,594 Views)

Top answer one question: when the scan hangs up the computer locks up and I need to sign out to recover.  The scanner sits and indicates scanning on the display.

I have just discovered something significant which may enable one of you to identify my problem.  I had tried in the past to remove and reinsert my usb cable to the same port with no help.  Just for the heck of it I recently tried connecting to a different usb port on the computer.  The scan worked normally for the first time ever, but later I had the same problem from that port also.  But it does work intermittently from this port.  I tried a spare usb cable, but it too showed the same problem. Also now, sometimes the HP solution center shows the printer disconnected, yet it shows ink levels and will print.  I am pretty confused but maybe this will make sense to one of you.  Thanks for everyone's input. 

Regents Professor
Message 16 of 25 (2,576 Views)

Really quickly, did you upgrade your system from another operating system to Win8? 

-Spencer 

Tutor
Message 17 of 25 (2,571 Views)

No, this was a new computer loaded with Windows 8.

Regents Professor
Message 18 of 25 (2,553 Views)

When you originally installed the software did you use the USB PnP direct installation, install through the CD, or download the drivers online? 

-Spencer 

Tutor
Message 19 of 25 (2,544 Views)

I downloaded drivers on line from HP site.  CD wouldn't run.

Master's Graduate
Message 20 of 25 (2,528 Views)

Very interesting that moving to a different USB port changed the behavior.   Do you have any other USB devices attached to the computer as well?   If so, does removing them change the behavior?   

Do you happen to have access to a USB 2.0 hub of any kind?  Often times if there's issues with USB ports or the USB chipset on a system, putting a USB 2.0 hub between the device and the compute can resolve it or improve connectivity.

Jeremy

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation