Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question
Officejet 4500 printer won't scan on new Windows 8 computer
Replies (24)

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Tutor
Message 21 of 25 (906 Views)

Re: Officejet 4500 printer won't scan on new Windows 8 computer

I removed one USB device (external hard drive which was powered off normally); the others were the keyboard and mouse which I couldn't really remove and operate the computer.  Removing that one did not help.

HOWEVER, you really hit paydirt with using the USB hub.  If I connect the hub between the printer and any of the computer USB ports, it solved the communication problem between the printer/scanner and the computer.  I can consistently scan now using either HP software or Windows Fax and Scan.  Problem solved!  I never would have guessed to try that. Thanks Jeremy and Spencer for all your help. 

Master's Graduate
Message 22 of 25 (895 Views)

Glad to hear that got you up and going.   My suspicions are that something isn't quite right with USB on your new computer.   This could be either the USB hardware (ports, internal chipset, cabling, etc) or possibly the USB drivers.    Clearly the Printer is working fine as it worked great on your old system, and now it works well with a 2.0 hub in the mix.    Or it could be some incompatibility with this specific printer, and the USB chipset/hardware on your new system.   

Regardless, these types of issues are very difficult to root cause, and if you've found a workaround that's acceptable to you, then stick with that!

Jeremy

I am an HP employee, however, this content reflects my personal opinion and is in no way associated with HP.
Regents Professor
Message 23 of 25 (891 Views)

Thank you for the help, Jeremy! I am glad you are back up and running, and if you ever have any further questions or issues I hope that you remember the experience you had here on the forums and know that me and my colleagues are here almost 24-7 to help support you and your needs. 

I hope you are having a wonderful week, and I hope that the weather where you are located is as beautiful there as it is here!

-Spencer 

Honor Student
Message 24 of 25 (720 Views)

I had the same issue. I could print and fax but no scanning of photos. I uninstalled all of the software and reinstalled it from the HP site since I no longer have the disc. I have successfully installed the software but no my computer find my printer. hen I'm told to plug in the USB to finish the installation, my printer never shows up. I have plugged the USB cable into all of the available slot and now I have nothing. Before I reinstalled the software my printer was found with no issues. The printer is powered on.  How do I get the software to realize that my printer IS plugged in?

Honor Student
Message 25 of 25 (720 Views)

I had the same issue. I could print and fax but no scanning of photos. I uninstalled all of the software and reinstalled it from the HP site since I no longer have the disc. I have successfully installed the software but no my computer find my printer. hen I'm told to plug in the USB to finish the installation, my printer never shows up. I have plugged the USB cable into all of the available slot and now I have nothing. Before I reinstalled the software my printer was found with no issues. The printer is powered on.  How do I get the software to realize that my printer IS plugged in?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation