Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Top Student
Message 1 of 17 (4,734 Views)

Officejet 4500 won't print, copy, scan or fax

[ Edited ]

Officejet 4500 wireless, Windows 7

I have had my 4500 for just shy of one year.  It is rarely used, probably only used a couple dozen times.  Two days ago, I replaced both the black and color cartridges without issue and sucessfully printed without problem.  This morning, I tried to make a black and white copy and encountered an issue which is larger than I thought.

I cannot print, scan, copy, or fax.  The job initiates- for example, it shows "Printing..." on the screen, but nothing happens.  It would sit in the queue indefinitely if I let it. 

I've spent the day trying to figure this out, to no avail.  I've reset the officejet, deleted/reinstalled it, etc.  It doesn't look like a problem with the connection to my laptop, since all of the diagnostic tests come back with no issues.

Help!

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 17 (4,693 Views)

Re: Officejet 4500 won't print, copy, scan or fax

[ Edited ]

Hi cmy0122,

How is the printer connected to your computer?

Have you tried the Diagnostic utilitys on the HP website?

If you connect the printer to a different computer does it work ok?

Hardware Diagnostic Utility

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-98966-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...=

Scan Diagnostic Utility

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=oj-96509-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...=

Home Network Diagnostic Utility

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-96434-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...=

Print Diagnostic Utility

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-91799-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...=

Officejet Software and Driver Removal Utility

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-77043-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...=

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Student
Message 3 of 17 (4,683 Views)

the power is not on

Top Student
Message 4 of 17 (4,681 Views)

I'm connected via wireless.  It doesn't matter which computer I connect it to- it just won't work.

i've run all of the diagnostics that you attached and all come back the same- no issue.  I try to test print and it sits in the queue with the printer screen saying "Printing..."  It doesn't matter if I try to test print from the computer or from the printer itself.  It just doesn't  work.  When I clear the queue, it doesn't clear it on the printer.  Even when I cancel the print on the printer itself, it gets stuck.  I have to manually power off/on the officejet to clear it.

Provost
Message 5 of 17 (4,677 Views)

Hi cmy0122,

If you print a test page from the printer does it pickup the paper and start to print or does it do nothing?

I am an HP employee.

Top Student
Message 6 of 17 (4,673 Views)

Does nothing, but makes the noises like it's going to

Provost
Message 7 of 17 (4,672 Views)

HI cmy0122,

You are having a hardware issue.

How long have you owned the printer?

If less than a year or you purchased a extended warranty call our technical support line at 800-474-6836. They can assist you on additional options available to you. 

I am an HP employee.

Top Student
Message 8 of 17 (4,670 Views)

Thanks so much.  Luckily, it's just shy of one year and I still have the receipt!

Provost
Message 9 of 17 (4,667 Views)

Sounds like good timing to me. Have a wonderful evening

I am an HP employee.

Top Student
Message 10 of 17 (4,664 Views)

Unfortunately, my officejet is out of warranty (this model only has a 90 day warranty) and Tech Support was unable to help me.  I had a fatal hardware failure.  I am off to replace it now.  Again, thank you so much for your help.  Have a wonderful evening.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation