Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a office jet 5740 all in one printer running windows 10 

My scanner has been freezing in the middle of a scan and have to shut off the printer to release it, sometimes I can continue scanning other times I have to restart the computer, then it may scan a few pages then freezes again other times it will finish the scan.  I have ran the  scan doc and it works fine then when I try to scan a document it freezes again. I even reintalled the software nothing works for long.

thanks for any help

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Forums.

How is the printer connected?  If it is USB, is it possible to change the USB cable and to use another USB computer port?

Will you be able to try scanning on another computer to see if the issue exist?

Thanks.

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

HP Recommended

Hi,

HP Officejet 5740 printer freeze during scanning, follow the given troubleshooting steps one by one to resolve this issue.

I’m always recommending to restart all the device at the first.

• Switch off the printer, router and system and leave it for 1 or 2 minutes after that turn on one by one.

Close the scanning program:

• If any scanning process is running press Alt+Clt+Delete and select start Task Management.
  • In task management click application tab --> HP Scanning --> End Task.
  • It takes some time for closing, then finally click Yes.

Connect product is online:

• Once the power is turned on do not take any immediate scan

Open Solution Center:

Window XP:

Start  --> All programs --> Click HP -->HP Solution center.

Window Vista or Window 7:

• On windows taskbar -->Click Window icon --> Program --> then Click HP Solution center.
  • Now try to take a scan again.

Still, if you facing this issue contact the HP Printer Customer care.

HP Recommended

I am connected through usb port this is the only computer I have

HP Recommended

I followed the steps you indicated and so far it is working but I only used the scan for a short time this morning. I will continuing trying it later and hope that the problem is taken care of.

Thanks for your response

HP Recommended

it froze on me twice yesterday while scanning I was able to resume both times by shutting down the printer

HP Recommended

Hi @marybarron,

Did you have a chancet o change the USB cable?

Thanks,

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

HP Recommended

yes it is a new cable

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.