Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
epeguero Top Student
Top Student
5 0 2
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Officejet 6210 Windows 7 installation - why not?

I have an HP Officejet 6210. It ran great with XP. I now have Windows 7. When I tried installing it, I get an error "can't install using 'Run as...'" I NEED my "Scan to" button to work!! I need to be able to print to PDF from my printer.

7 REPLIES
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
4502 303 1044
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the OJ 6210 is not fully supported on Win 7. Only basic printing and scanning will work. So the Scan To button, and the ability to scan to PDF will not work.

I am an ex-HP Employee. Currently inactive on the forum.
epeguero Top Student
Top Student
5 0 2
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post

Well that truly stinks!! Is there a timeline for when HP will provide full support?

Regents Professor
Regents Professor
4502 303 1044
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post

The support life for HP printers is 5 years starting from the day it was released into the market. After that, software updates will mostly likely stop for that printer. That's the case with the OJ 6210.

epeguero Top Student
Top Student
5 0 2
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post

I love HP and I know companies have their expiration dates for their products, but some of us can maintain our products in pristine conditions. At the very least, I would hope a 3rd party could come up with something. Losing support is one thing, disabling your product is another. It forces people to buy another printer... risking loyal customers. Oh well.  Analogy: I installed a floor with materials from Home Depot... 6 months later I couldn't find the pattern. Apparently, they do the same thing with some of their products.

It still doesn't make sense why HP Solutions Center eliminates the Scan to capability when I'm sure the newer printers continue to have it and why I don't see the ability to print to PDF even from within HP Solutions Center.  

Frustrating, but thanks for trying.  Haha.. I just bought a new HP laptop too.

0 Kudos
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
4502 303 1044
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post

I understand your concern. But you have to think about this is a higher level. It takes time and money to develop and test software. With every new iteration of Windows, the internal structures changes, due to which software has to be almost re-written for every product. Some code can be re-used, but the actual drivers required for printing and scanning have to be tailor-made for each group of printers. Doing this for the older catalog of printers is certainly time consuming and resource hungry. So companies have to make a touch decision based on a lot of aspects. It's too bad that it's the customers that eventually lose out. This happens to almost everyone, including me

As for scanning to PDF, I can provide a workaround. Google for CutePDF Writer and install it. This will give you a CutePDF Writer printer icon. When anything is printed to this printer icon, it is then converted and saved into a PDF file. So you can scan a document as a JPG using the steps I mentioned earlier then print it to the CutePDF Writer printer, and save it as a PDF.

epeguero Top Student
Top Student
5 0 2
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post

You're right, but I guess frustration gets the best me and I stop thinking beyond my realm. I had been using Bullzip PDF writer with success. Yesterday I did a system restore to pre-Bullzip days for issues with yet another PDF writer that simply would not uninstall 100% of its elements. I've heard of CutePDF, and since you're recommending it, I will give it try.

Thanks again for breaking things down for me and for the recommendation. I guess Microsoft should possibly come up with a feature that lets you run programs as though XP were the OS, although I'm sure they have their limits too :)

Regards

0 Kudos
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
4502 303 1044
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post

They actually do have something like that. It's called Windows XP mode. But you must have Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate to run Windows XP Mode. Check out THIS link for instructions on how to get it.

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation