cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
trefilov22
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 82
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Officejet 6500 E709N Continously goes offline!!!!

Does anyone have a solution to this issue.  If i don't use for a while and try to print wirelessly, i get the message that the printer is offline!  This is getting to be a pain in the booty!  If I wanted to have to get up and click the button to put it online everytime I print, I would have bought a wired printer instead.  HELP!!!!
0 Kudos
81 REPLIES 81
Level 8
1,537 1,533 81 399
Message 2 of 82
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Describe to me your setup.

1. What kind of computer, OS and security SW are you running (Norton/Symantec, McAfee, Zonealarm, Windows firewall, etc)?
  2. What kind of wireless-router do you have?  Is your wireless network encrypted?

When the printer goes offline, is after your computer  comes out of standby/sleep mode?

Also, the next time your printer goes offline, tell me if at that moment if you can access the printer's internal web page by browsing to its IP address? 

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
trefilov22
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 82
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I have a home built PC, with WIndows XP 32bit, SP3.  Only windows firewall running, no AV.  My router is a netgear WNR2000.  I have found a temporary workaround on my pc to ping the IP prior to printing, and it seems to work.  I also set a manual IP up on the printer itself rather than using DCHP, so its possible that it fixed the problem by doing that.  Either way, whether it be a combo of the two, or one or the other, I can print from my PC without it going offline.  I haven't messed with my wifes laptop yet.  She won't understand she has to ping it prior to printing, so I want to make sure this gets resolved correctly.  I am sure you can see my frustration here.
0 Kudos
Level 8
1,537 1,533 81 399
Message 4 of 82
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I suspect it's the PING you send before printing that causes our SW to reestablish contact with the printer.  Setting a static IP in the printer, while a good idea for those running PC's, probably didn't help in your case.

There is one more thing to try if you're interested -- install the printer queue manually and bypass HP's solution center.  Here's the sequence for XP:

1. Click >> Start >> Control panel >> Printer.
  2. Click the 'Add Printer' icon. The 'Add Printer' dialog box opens.
  3. Click 'Next' button on the 'Welcome to the Add Printer' Wizard dialog box.
  4. Select 'Local printer' in the Local or Network Printer dialog box.
  5. Under Select a Printer Port option, select "Create a new port" and select "Standard TCP/IP Port" and click "Next" button.
  6. In the "Welcome to the Add Standard TCP/IP printer port wizard" make sure that the printer is turned on and configured. Click "Next" button.
  7. Under "Add Standard TCP/IP Printer Port" enter the printer's IP address (since you have a static IP address, otherwise I'd have you put in the printer's hostname).
  8. Now, select HP (not Hewlett-Packard) from the list of manufacturers, select Officejet 6500 from the list of Printer models and click 'Next' button.
  9. The Printer name will be highlighted on the next window. Click 'Next' button.10. It will ask for the Printer name -- leave the default value.
  10. Click 'Yes' for making the printer default. Click 'Next' button.
  11. The Print Test Page box appears.
  12. Select 'Yes' to print a test page.
  13. Click 'Finish' button to complete the installation.Since the HP services does know about this print queue, it won't try to take it offline. 
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
BellGal
Level 1
6 5 0 2
Message 5 of 82
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I am having the exact same problem...my PC runs VISTA.  Can I follow the same steps you've written out for XP and solve this problem.  It is frustrating!!

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Level 8
1,537 1,533 81 399
Message 6 of 82
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Here is how to manually install a HP networked printer on Vista:

1. Go to the Printers folder and select Add a printer.
  2. Select Add a local printer
  3. Select Create a new port and for the type of port select Standard TCP/IP Port.  Press Next.
  4. For the Device type, select TCP/IP Device.
  5. For Hostname or IP address, enter the printer's hostname.  You can find the printer's hostname by printing out the printer's network configuration page.  The hostname will start with HP followed by six hexidecimal characters.  Press Next.
  6. From the list of manufacturer's, select Hewlett-Packard.  From the list of printer's select your model.  If you cannot find your printer, select Have Disk, browse to your setup CD and select the first file that starts with HP and ends with *.ini.  Now you should be able to select your printer from a new list.  Press Next.
  7. At this point, the computer may begin installing the printer driver or ask you to keep the currently installed driver.  Keep the existing driver and press Next.
  8. You'll be asked to name the print queue.  You can keep the suggested name or change it.  Press Next.
  9. Next, you'll be asked whether you want to share the printer.  This choice is up to you.  Press Next.
  10. Go ahead and Print a test page.

That should be it.  Mind you, this only gets you basic printing without the other HP SW (which many people want).  To scan, you'll have to use the printer's internal web page interface.

pcatkin
1 1 0 0
Message 7 of 82
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Does this work for Windows 7 (64-bit) as well?  I am having the same issues

0 Kudos
kgood1
4 4 0 1
Message 8 of 82
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I followed the manual print queue and it did not solve the problem.

Dell Dimension 8400, 3.0  4 GB Ram

I am very disappointed: HP used to be the best, but if you have a network printer that won't stay on the network: it is not worth having.

HP needs to come up with a solution that works.

0 Kudos
jsamonds
1 1 0 1
Message 9 of 82
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I found that if you open the printer, either from control panel, or from that icon that pops up on the bottom right corner of your screen when you are printing, then click Printer and then from the drop down menu uncheck where it says "work off line" that the printer will immediately come online.

I just did that now and it worked, don't know if it is a permanent solution yet but it is much faster than pinging or turning the printer off and back on.

Tags (1)
kgood1
4 4 0 1
Message 10 of 82
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I have found a solution that seems to be permanent. (So far)

I think that the problem is that if the printer doesn't get any traffic for a certain time it goes to sleep, so I thought if you could make something give it traffic every so often it would stay on-line.  I found that if you ping the IP of the printer it seems to stay on-line.

I found a little program called Multiping (http://www.nessoft.com/multiping/) and I have set it to ping the IP address every 6 hours, and it seems to be staying on-line.  The only drawback is that this program costs $24.95. I found an earlier version on CNET, that is freeware, but I haven't tried it yet: I wanted to test my theory first. 

This doesn't absolve HP of the responsibility to fix this problem long term, but it does appear to solve the problem. 

Let me know if anyone else tries it and how it works for them. 

Tags (1)

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation