cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Hedgescape
Level 2
9 8 0 7
Message 1 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Officejet 6500 E709n Wireless Offline Fix That Works

The printer firmware automatically takes the printer off the wireless network if it detects there are no other PC(s)/devices online (for example, if all the other PCs have shut down).  The software bug in the printer firmware is that when a PC boots up and comes back onto the wireless network, the printer firmware seems to be unable to detect that event and is unable to bring the printer back onto the wireless network.  I am assuming a simple home network consisting of one or more PCs wirelessly connected to a router and the printer also connected onto that network wirelessly through the same router.

Here is the fix:

1. Get printer back online (pull power on router, then printer, then PCs; then plug back in router, then printer, then PCs).

2. Using web browser, go to 192.168.0.101 (the printer).

3. Select Networking tab, then Connections_Wireless, then Advanced.

4. At bottom of the "advanced" page, put a check mark into the 3rd of the 3 checkboxes under the "Compatibility" heading.  The text beside that checkbox is "In an adhoc network act connected even when others are not present".  Then click on "Apply".

5. Close the web brower and you are done.  The printer will now never take itself off the wireless network but the power saving features still remain operational.

24 REPLIES 24
D_Dog
3 3 0 1
Message 2 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dude! You're a genius, this worked. Of all the piss poor recommendations and fixes I've heard from supposed HP experts, this is the only one of these fixes I've seen, and the only one that works. Thanks!
0 Kudos
amish_muse
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you! We finally got it to not dump out on the wireless network. You rock!

0 Kudos
scavalli
2 1 0 0
Message 4 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I don't understand No. 2.  Using the browser go to the IP address (the printer)

0 Kudos
nobodysbusiness
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

THANK YOU! HP Support is completely useless on this point - your fix worked instantly.

0 Kudos
djsmith9699
2 2 0 0
Message 6 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've gone through the shut down process as directed, but upon restarting everything, I'm not even able to connect to the printer using browser address 192.168.0.101.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Level 14
21,074 20,455 1,538 3,433
Message 7 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@djsmith9699 wrote:

I've gone through the shut down process as directed, but upon restarting everything, I'm not even able to connect to the printer using browser address 192.168.0.101.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

What is your printers IP address?  it may not be .101.

0 Kudos
djsmith9699
2 2 0 0
Message 8 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the response. I printed the network config page and saw that the printer's address is 192.168.1.1 and was able to access it from the browser. I clicked the network tab but "Wired" was the only option that came up under "Connections". I have a ethernet cable from the printer to the router but I can't even access it that way.

BTW, I have a E709"a", not an "n". Not sure that matters much. We've been accessing it wirelessly for years, but upon returning from a long weekend, it was "offline" both wired and wirelessly. We've gone away many times before so don't think that had any bearing. There was a lot of lightning while we were away, but no power outage.

Thanks again.

Dave

0 Kudos
pvr726
4 4 0 0
Message 9 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dave 

Why are you looking at this thread if your printer is not setup for wireless printing?

0 Kudos
pvr726
4 4 0 0
Message 10 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hedgescape

Thankfully I found your post soon as I turned my printer to be wireless, after a year plus of working flawlessly in the wired mode. New router, TV line of sight and room layout needed me to try wireless option in the printer and it has not been reliable for the past 3 days ever since.

I just applied this fix you mentioned, not yet confirmed it worked, but believe it would - thanks a ton for taking time to post these kind of useful information for everyone's benefit. 

Sincerely appreciated.

~ Ram

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation