cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

Officejet 7310 scanner not responding

HP Recommended

I use HP Document Viewer on Windows XP for scanning on my Officejet 7310.  It worked fine until recently and now I get an error message that there is a communications problem.  I am hardwired to the unit and also have a network connection.  I can print through both paths.  I used HP Print and Scan Doctor to troubleshoot -- it purports to scan and the scanner appears to operate during the troubleshooting process but it will not generate a test scan and the problem is not fixed when I am done.  It gives me a message that there is a problem on the unit message board but that doesn't appear to be related to the communication problem.  Any suggestions on where I should go from here. I use the scan feature a lot.

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Level 13
Level 13
6,394 6,366 511 1,099
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello led7310,

Are you able to make a standalone COPY ( Black / color ).

If "Yes", then you may have to re-install the printer software.

If "No", then try the below mentioned steps ....

- Power off the printer.

- Unplug the Power cord from back of the printer.

- Check if the printer is connected to Power strip/ Surge protector, connect the printer directly to Wall Outlet.

- Plugin the Power cord to printer and Power On the Printer.

- Make a COPY . If there is a problem while making a COPY, then it seems to be a Printer Hardware issue .

- Call HP Tech support for further Assistance.

If you are in US , the toll free # is 1-800-474-6836 .

If you are not in US , then log on to www.hp.com , at bottom-left corner there is a world map icon, click on it and then select the region you belong to, which would then provide support options for you for that region.

Regards,
Jabzi

Help the community by marking this post .
Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
See a great post? Give it a Kudos!
I work for HP

Regards,
Jabzi

Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the "thumps Up icon" .

Click "Accept as Solution" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
5 3 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks jabzi,

I can make a copy locally -- I ran HP Director and HP Print and Scan Doctor -- both diagnostic tools reported that all is well with the scanner but when I tried to run a test scan nothing happened and when I tried to use the scanner I received the same error.  I suspect there is a hardware problem.  The unit is about 5 to 6 years old so I don't know if or where I can get it fixed -- since it still prints and copies OK I  may look into getting a separate scanner.

Again I appreciate your quick repsonse and help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13
Level 13
6,394 6,366 511 1,099
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Hello , Try Scanning using MS Paint. File > From Scanners and Cameras. Let me know if it works. It seems to be a Software issue. Regards, Jabzi Help the community by marking this post . Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution! See a great post? Give it a Kudos! I work for HP
Regards,
Jabzi

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
5 3 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I was able to scan using MS Paint -- I still cannot scan using HP Document Viewer from one computer running on XP that is connected through a USB cable to the 7310 nor using Windows Fax and Scan from another computer running on Windows 7 that communicates with the 7310 through a network.  In the latter case I get a message that indicates there are no scanners connected.  Both of these used to work until recently.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13
Level 13
6,394 6,366 511 1,099
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Hello , You may have to uninstall the printer software on win XP computer and re-install it. Please copy paste the below url that should help you download the Full featured s/w for Officejet 7310 for XP OS. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=228&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=39118... On Win 7 ( when printer connected in Network ), you will not be able to get the SCAN functionality as the drivers embedded are only for Printing. But if the printer is connected with USB , you will be able Scan. Regards, Jabzi. I work for HP
Regards,
Jabzi

Highlighted
Author
5 3 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have tried to download new drivers using the link you provided but when I click on "Next" after selecting Windoes XP nothing happens - I don't get any opportunity to download anything -- there not be an update.  I have reloaded the software using the orginal disc but that has not solved the problem.  I am very perplexed with this problem.

WRT my Win 7 computer -- I have used Windoes Fax and Scan from that computer in the past on the 7310 -- I believe it was through our network but will not swear to it.

I really appreciate your help -- it is Christmas Eve -- I hope you have a Merry Christmas

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation