Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have removed and checked the Color Cartridge and replaced it.  No change.

I carefully cleaned the cartridge contacts with distilled water. Still no change.

I went and bought both a new Color Cartridge (#97) and a new Black Cartridge (#96).

Installed the new Color Cartridge. Still no change.

Tried changing the Black Cartridge as well. Still no change.

I carefully cleaned the cartridge contacts and printer contacts for both of the cartridges with distilled water. STILL no change.

So, after spending close to $100, I still can't use the printer.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended
Hey DAFTX, since you already cleaned the contacts and even went so far as buying new cartridges I would suggest taking a look at this article:
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01423559

You may want to check the Carriage chute and x-bias spring. You may still want to try the steps in the beginning of the article though they may seem redundant.
Help the community by marking this post as a solution if it solved your issue!.

If my post helped you in any way, please click the blue KUDOS star under my name! It would mean a great deal. 🙂

HP Recommended

The carriage chutes and x-bias springs appear to be undamagedand in their proper positions.  I have gone through the whole cleaning process twice now... still no effect.

Something I have noticed that might be important is that no matter if either of the cartridges are in place or not, it won't respond.  Shouldn't you be able to get it to print in black without the color cartridge in place?

HP Recommended
If not, you should at least receive a response that a cartridge is missing or damaged.

Remove all cartridges and see if the error clears. If the error does not clear, remove power from the printer for a minute or two, reconnect and try again.

If my post helped you in any way, please click the blue KUDOS star under my name! It would mean a great deal. 🙂

HP Recommended

When I remove the color cartridge, it asks me to replace it and will not let me get past that requirement.

Same thing if I remove the black cartridge. There seems to be no way around this.

Removing power for a few minutes with or without the cartridges installed makes no difference.

Is there any way to reset to factory defaults on startup?

HP Recommended
Thanks for working through this with me

Lets get the printer reset and back to defaults:
1. Unplugged the power cord from both ends.
2. Connect power cord directly to the wall outlet (leave the other end unplugged).
3. While the power cable is still unplugged from the back of the printer, press and hold pound and six (# 6) buttons, and then reconnect the power cable.
4. After the cable is reconnected, release the two buttons.
5. The printer will eventually turn on then off again. Turn on the printer and then let me know if you see "Semi-NVM Reset"
6. If so, follow the on-screen instructions.

Please post back results!

HP Recommended

Daniel,

Thanks for your help on this one!

I left power off and unplugged over the weekend.

With the power adapter plugged into the wall, I held the # & 6 buttons as I plugged in the power cord to the back of the printer. It displayed "Semi Full Reset" and then shut itself off after a few minutes.

I pressed the power button and it displayed "Semi Full Reset" again and then asked about the language. I selected "English" and pressed "OK".  It then asked which type of english. I selected "US" and pressed "OK" again. It never said "Semi-NVM Reset".

Then it went right back into the "Remove and check color cartridge" again.

Anything else we can try?

P.S.: I just noticed that it now says "Remove and check cartridge on right" when the black cartridge in installed without the color cartridge.  It also now says "Remove and check Print Cartridges" when both are in place.

HP Recommended

I did the #6 reset and got the same result as the previous post.

HP Recommended

I am having this issue as well and have gone through the same steps the others have outlined.

HP Recommended

I know this thread has been around a while, but I figured out a solution last night when I had the exact same "Check color cartridge" error message stuck on my HP7410. I found someone else online with a different problem on a different HP printer, who used a very similar repair procedure as listed here, but with one extra step. I figured I had nothing to lose, so I tried it and it worked, though you have to reenter the current date/time and your network info, because it wiped out the memory and went back to factory settings. So...

1) Unplug printer power cord from printer.

2) Hold down the # and 6 key while plugging printer cord back in. Continue to hold those keys down until printer says SEMI FULL RESET (it doesn't give you any other choices, and it does NOT say SEMI-NVM (non-volative memory RESET - I don't know how to get that) so just wait til SEMI FULL RESET comes up).

3) The printer will then turn off by itself.

4) Turn the printer on.

5) The printer will want you to set language, but don't do it yet.

6) Press the * and # key at same time.

7) Press 124. You will see "UNDERWARE: and a series of letters and numbers."

😎 Press the right arrow to scroll through all the possible system setting categories once, and hit OK.

9) Scroll through them again to set the language, change the day/time and re-enter your network settings (network name/ID and password) and I suppose anything else you need to do, like set fax settings.

It's possible you may need to power off and power on again between steps 8 and 9 - sorry, can't remember if I tried that but I don't want to do this again and risk messing anything up.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.