cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 1
8 6 0 1
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post

Officejet 8500 A909n scanner failure post Win 10 install

HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8500 Premier
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Upgraded to Win 10 and since then scanner will not function, but printer does.

Downlaoded and reinstalled the new full version software from HP 5 times and still does not work. Cannot scan through HP Solution Center, Adobe Acrobat Pro etc.

I get the below 2 error messages;

1: "The scan cannot be performed because another program or computer is using the networked HP imaging device. 8, [0, 18, -2147467259)]"

2: "Print & Scan Doctor – The tool was unable to find the HP scan application software on your computer. If you want to scan using the HP scan application software, you should reinstall the HP product software from the CD, or download and install the latest full feature software….."

As stated above reinstall does not get the scanner to work and as for number 2, it appears the software is not being installed on reinstall.

Will this be resolved?

Additionally, HP Scan and Capture is of no use as  it generates the message that HP scan application software the computer is missing after the reinstalls. Looks as if the reinstalls never complete correctly although it never states it failed, only that it was a success.

So what is the issue here HP?

As per HP directions, using a TWAIN compliant program to scan returned the error message that Photosmart software is not installed. I assume this was deleted by the HP software upgrade after Win 10 install. Cannot find any Photosmart driver for Windows 10. Any suggestions where this can be located?

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
8 6 0 1
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

At start up and throughout the day, keep getting error message pop up stating (HP imaging device not found"

Have unplugged, rebooted and uninstalled software and reinstalled full software many times, but keep getting the same error message.

Is there any solution to this as I cannot scan from Officejet 8500 A909?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
1,040 978 54 104
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Ferdy555,

Nice to meet you! I was looking over your post here and I was wondering, are you are able to scan using Paint?

In the Search, type Paint.
Click Paint in the results.
Click File, and then click From scanner or camera.
Select your printer, click OK, and then click Scan.

Scanning with MS Paint uses the Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) scan driver, no HP software at all. If you are unable scan from paint, it would indicate that the WIA was not installed correctly and/or was having issues. The HP scanning relies on the built in WIA scan driver to run. 

I look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks, 

midnight-anwrs
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution” on the post that solves your issue - it helps others find the solution later.

Don't forget to come back and click the Thumbs Up on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
8 6 0 1
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes I have Paint, but is does not provide what I need and had previously with the OfficeJet 8500 before installing the new full version software. Image files i.e., JPEG, BMP, PNG etc is all that is offered and are not what is required.

I previously scanned multiple PDF docs on the 8500 through Adobe Acrobat Pro, or through the HP Solution Center, so Paint is of no value. Adobe will not now scan with this new software as it and the Solution Center cannot find the scanner. (see below).

Additionally I continue to get at start up and throughout the day, pop up error messages stating "HP imaging device not found"

Have unplugged, rebooted and uninstalled software and reinstalled full software many times, but keep getting the same error message.

Another message I also get through Print & Scan Doctor is to reinstall the Photosmart software that came on the original CD for the 8500, but this Photosmart software will not install from the CD as I believe that is in not Win 10 compatable.

How can I reinstall the "imaging device"?

Graham

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
1,040 978 54 104
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for replying @Ferdy555,

I just wanted to make sure the computer is capable of scanning - so as long as paint does scan from Paint, we can focus on the HP software.

The only software available for this printer is available for download from HP's website: here is a direct link to the Windows 10 download file for your printer model.

Before trying to install this file, you may want to remove all files previous installed on the computer, restart then try the fresh install.

Step 1: Try Uninstalling the Printer Software - I recommend referencing the steps in this document to make sure you haven't missed anything.

Step 2: Then Delete files using Disk Cleanup - make sure to put check marks in all of the selection boxes when available.

Step 3: Remove reaming software drivers that may be hiding in your Device Manager
1) Enter Device Manager into the Search field.
2) Click on the Device Manager.
3) You may want to click on View, at the top of the windows, and then Show hidden devices
4) Expand the each one of the device types, and check for any driver related to your printer and remove them
** To remove a device from device manager, right-click the device name from the list and then click Uninstall.

* For more information see Device Manager Information for Windows 7.

Step 4: Remove any remaining drivers in Printer Server Properties

1) Open your Devices and Printers Window

2) Single click on any item under Printers and Faxes section

3) Click Print Server Properties along the top of the window

4) Select the Drivers Tab

5) Single click on any driver related to your printer, and click the Remove button (if there are multiples - you have to do this one by one)

printserver.png

Note: If you get an error trying to removing these and get an error message saying they are in use let me know and I can indicate how to correct this.

Step 5: Search for your temp folder, and delete everything it will let you

Search %temp%, open this folder select all - hold shift and click delete on your keyboard

Click skip on any pop-ups that say the file cannot be deleted

Step 6: Restart the computer then try downloading the newest software package

Please let me know if any of these steps resolved your issue, or if there is anything else I can do to help. 

Thanks, 

midnight-anwrs
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution” on the post that solves your issue - it helps others find the solution later.

Don't forget to come back and click the Thumbs Up on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
8 6 0 1
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

midnight-anwrs

As you instructed, I uninstalled the software via the instructions at Step 1. I completed Step 2 with Disk Cleanup. Removed any drivers in Device Manager of Step 3 & Step 4. Deleted the temp folder contents in Step 5 and restarted as per Step 6.

I also uninstalled all other HP programs - install assistant etc. However, there is still a HP directory in the Windows Programs File (x86) directory which stll containes the following sub directories - Diagnostics, Digital Imaging, Temp.

Do I have to delete these as well before installing the new full software?

I ask because I have done this a few times before the full install and still the scanner did not work and some of these last HP files the system did not allow me to delete?

I need to know before I move forward again with another full install.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
1,040 978 54 104
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for checking @Ferdy555,

Those files should be ok to stay, they should not interfere with the installer.

Let me know once you have the software installed if you still have troubles.

Thanks, 

midnight-anwrs
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
8 6 0 1
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

midnight-anwrs

I reinstalled the latest full version again (Aug 2015) of the softawre for the Officejet 8500.

During the install HP Printer Install Wizard gave an error message of - Officejet 8500 Not Supported.

Full version downloaded separately and installed using HP Support Assistant. When install completed I got the usual error message that I have had before - HP Imaging Device Not Found - Reinstall HP Photosmart.

I rebooted as requested and the same error message appears after start up and the Support Assistant produces a pop up with - Scanner Error and continmues to appear throughot the day.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
1,040 978 54 104
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Ferdy555,

Maybe it's just not activating: 

Search and open your Task Manager, select the Startup tab and enable HP Digital Imaging Monitor.

Thanks, 

midnight-anwrs
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
8 6 0 1
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

midnight-anwrs

Yes I have checked that and the HP Digital Imaging Monitor is already enabled.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation