Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

Officejet 8500 installation error message: Fatal Error MSI.Destinations, Invalid Drive C:\

HP Recommended

During Installation of Item 2/10, a MSI.Destination dialog box appears stating "Invalid Drive C:\".

When you go to recommended HP.com/support site, no solution can be found, as no error code is listed in dialog box & no error code can be found in the Event viewer as suggested.

Printer connectivity via USB or Wireless is working, but the scanning functionality from printer or HP Solutions Center is not available which is a required feature for my office.

Tried several uninstall/install cycles with AV/firewall disabled, but same result. 

Windows XP Pro, SP3, 32bit. Windows installed on Drive F:\

HP OfficeJet 8500 A909g

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Level 6
Level 6
291 291 8 18
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello RRF,

Since you are facing trouble using HP software, you can also use the inbuilt Windows software to do the scanning.

You can find the steps to do the same below:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02459304

Hope this helps.

I work for HP.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick response. I am aware of the option to scan using Windows software, but that limits the functionality of the purchased device & software. I consider this an un-acceptable bandaid and not a solution.

I have scanned the forum for a solution to this problem and see unresolved posts dating back TWO years where people are still waiting for an answer or they returned the printer. This can be solved: it just requires HP to take responsibility for what they sell and make Customer Service a priority. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 6
Level 6
291 291 8 18
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi RRF,

I am not sure why this error is still coming up, but let me know if the below steps help you resolve them.

First, uninstall the product and then run this scrubbing utility:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-88603-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...

After this, you can install the latest available software for your product from here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-88604-2&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...

If the scan issue still persists, there is a utility to track whats wrong:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=oj-96509-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...

Hope this helps.

I work for HP.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No, this does not resolve the problem.

I followed the same steps you outlined after following suggestions from previous related posts:

Upgrade to MSI 4.5

Rename the Digital Imaging folder in Program Files under F:\windows

Just in case I missed something, I spent another 3-hours this morning repeating the three steps you listed. Results, by step. are listed.

Step One - Run Scrubbing Utility.

I ran Level 4, since it includes L1, L2, L3 and is stated as the most complete removal. It still leaves the Digital Imaging folder in Program Files & several other locations.

Step Two - Install the current version 14

Same exact problem (4th time). It starts to install Item 2/10 [HP Digital Imaging Device Functions] and stops to display the MSI.Destinations error box, Invalid Drive C:\ Fatal Error (no number). Clicking OK continues the remaining 8 steps w/o problems. At the end of install, a message box is displayed tha again tells you that HP Digital Imaging Device Functions failed to install & suggest the useless MS Paint option. Trying to run HP Solution Center delivers a message that'. . device installation is not complete'. It is setup in Printers & Faxes and I can Print a Test Page. I assume the message is referring to scanning functionality, but the message window fails to state any useful information.

Step Three - Run HP Scan Diagnostic Utility v4.2

The program recognizes the HP OfficeJet 8500 A909g device and stops at 'Solution Center' and displays text in message box 'The HP Scan Diagnostic Utility was unable to find components that you need in order to scan with HP software. If you want to scan with HP software. ...blah, blah ands with the ultimate in useless info "Reinstall the Full software package"!

Clicking Skip at this window, pops up the HP Scanning dialog box that restates 'A required software component was not found . . .' At the bottom of the box is (lower left corner) text ' Show extended error information'. Clicking + displays: 4,[2,0,80040154),(0,0,0),(3,56,0)]

Google this error gives more of the same Re-install solutions.

Total lost time for this effort & reply email=4 hrs. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dude, the guy trying to "help" from HP is way off base. What the heck? It doesn't seem like you were listening. Here's the main point of the post: User puts in F:\..... and install program STILL attempts to install to c:\ or at the very least is doing a check to see if c:\ exists and then errors out.

I have the same issue.

The install of the scanner is hard coded to look for C:\ (which is kind of lame. I've programmed installs before, the install should be referencing the %install_Folder% or similar and when I choose f:\program files\hp as the install folder all of the components of the install should be able to install into the f drive.

We need a command line that allows us to override the hard coded c:\ in HP's faulty installation routine.

I'm going to give this a shot, I just googled msi command line options:

msiexec TARGETDIR="F:\MyTagretDirectory" /i MyProject.msi

Now it's just a matter of finding out which msi installs the scanner and tracking down msiexec.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So I tried the command line. On XP, msiexec is in the path so I didn't need to install it or had previously done so, nonetheless msiexec was there for use.

This seemed to do something but not install the scanning program, this is likely what HP would need to add to their install code to make it work properly:

msiexec /i G:\hp8500\setup\scan\Scan.msi /TARGETDIR="F:\Program Files\HP"

I tried it a bunch of times before I got it right. The msiexec help menu kept popping up when I ran the command, meaning my syntax was wrong. I found that I couldn't have spaces in the /i option (even when I tried quotes). And the number of characters in the /i option may have been too many, my path was originally "G:\Software\HP Officejet 8500 909a\Software\OJP8500vA909_Full_14\setup\scan\Scan.msi ".

So it runs or tries to but the scanning software doesn't get installed.

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation