cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
jdewijs
Level 1
11 10 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

[Officejet 8500A] Why can this printer not just continue to work properly?

HP Recommended

I currently have an officejet 8500A after having two 6500A printers that I returned to the shop. After you install the printer it usually works...for a while. Then the problems start:

• Scanning stops working and you get session cannot be established errors. Problem is there both on iMac's running OSX 10.6 and in Windows 7
  • Printing via Airprint suddenly stops working
  • Printing via USB out of Windows 7 stops working.

I have tried all sorts of remedies:

• Connect all equipment via wired network instead of wireless
  • Reinstall the driver software
  • upgrade firmware of printer
  • have a fixed lease of the DHCP server for printers and computers
  • set a fixed IP in the printer
  • diagnosed bonjour routing using an app on the iPad
  • power cycle all devices in various orders
  • disable powersave on the printer using the front panel and via a mysterious hidden menu as advised by HP support.

Some of these resolutions help for a while but after a few days (sometimes a few hours) the problem starts again.

This all makes me believe that there is something seriously wrong with the driver software and firmware of these printers. When I read all these forums it seems that loads of people have similar vague problems. There is even a "top kudood" post but that is now locked for further posting by an HP employee?!? (wonder why...)

I know that HP staff is reading these forums. Would it not be a good idea to take some of these complaints serious and do something about them?

Regards,

Jurgen

3 REPLIES 3
bassergitz
Level 7
861 849 46 148
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended
if you have mac 10.6.8

1. Download and install Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo :
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399

2. Download and install HP Printer Drivers for Mac OS X v10.6 from Apple
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL907
Although I am working on behalf of HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Love Kudos! If you feel my post has helped you please click the White Kudos! Star just below my name : )
If you feel my answer has fixed your problem please click 'Mark As Solution' and make it easier for others to find help quickly : )
Happy Troubleshooting : )
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
jdewijs
Author
Level 1
11 10 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@bassergitz wrote:

1. Download and install Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo :

2. Download and install HP Printer Drivers for Mac OS X v10.6 from Apple

Bassergitz,

This would be excellent advice, however I have been advised to do this like 10 times before. It helps for a short while but the problems resurface after some time again.

Logic would also dictate that if this was really the problem it would not be possible to resolve the situation by powercycling the printer. Furthermore, I have also problems using the printer from Windows 7 as I wrote. Reinstalling OSX drivers would not resolve that problem either.

My conclusion remains that there is something wrong with this device and in particular the firmware and/or the driver software.

Please appreciate that my " Happy Troubleshooting"  is changed into " Very unhappy troubleshooting" .

ashu_b
Level 6
Level 6
291 288 8 20
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

May I know what connection are you using? Is it Wireless or Ethernet/Wired?

In anycase, I would recommend switching to ipv4 only mode and see if it resolves your issue.

To do that, you can go to the printer ip address from your PC browser (http://xxx.xxx.x.xxx)

This is the embedded web browser for your product.

Select the Network tab> Network Protocols> Enable IPv4 Only.

Some times, the network environment is contributes to unstability. Above mode at times does help resolve this issue.

Let me know how that goes.

I work for HP.
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation