Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have an Officejet 8600 Pro (top-of-the-line) and I use this for my Real Estate business.  This means I scan documents constantly.  I bought this printer approximately a month ago, and I am having multiple issues with the printer "dropping offline".

The time I notice this most is when I'm executing a "Scan to Computer" function or even "Scan to Network Folder".  When this happens, and I'm scanning documents, sometimes it'll get through the first document, and sometimes it'll only get through 2-3 documents before the BLUE wireless light disappear and then start to flash (which means it is reacquiring a wireless signal).  Therefore, I lose my fax, and I have to reattempt it again.  My backup plan is to scan to a thumb drive, but not ideal at all (I bought this printer solely for the wireless capabilities).

I notice from time to time when I'm on the computer the icon "Scan to Computer is no longer active" momentarily (meaning the printer dropped offline for a couple of seconds).

I did do a network configuration/test page, and the signal was strong (5 out of 5) and there were no issues through the test.  However, anytime I attempt a scan, very rarely will the scan complete and go to my computer.  What can I do?  I'll have to double check, but I think I am deconflicted with regard to IP Addresses (but if there was a deconfliction, wouldn't it not allow me to connect on the wireless at all?).

Has anyone else had issues with the wireless capabilities of the Officejet 8600 series?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

To answer the off topic question first, Netgear and 2Wire, which AT&T uses normally, should be about the same in quality, so that shouldn't matter.  Plus two router broadcasting wireless networks that close together could interfer with one another.  If you were to get a router that AT&T didn't provide, you would need to get a standard modem from AT&T to replace the modem router combination to keep that from happening.  

Now on to the accutall problem at hand.  I see two things from the information that you gave me that might be contributing to the problem.  

The first is your encryption type.  WEP is actually the leaste secure encryption type you can use, and it can cause connection problems with the printer.  HP printers work best with the WPA-AES encryption type.  WPA-AES is also the most secure encryption type you can use at this time.  If you're not comfortable changing it, contact AT&T and they should be able to help you.  

The second thing is the AVG software.  It doesn't like most intra-network communication.  I don't know why since everything is behind the same router firewall, but AVG doesn't like for two devices on the same network to communicate with one another constantly.  Luckily you can tell it to stop blocking communication by opening the ports in the firewall to allow scanning through.  I'll list the ports at the end of this post.  

Try those things and let me know what happens.

HP printer ports

UDP

TCP

Acronym

Definition

Used for

NetBIOS

network Basic Input/Output System - (basic communication)

UDP: Printing, Photo Card Upload

NetBIOS

UDP: Photo Card Upload

NetBIOS

TCP: PhotoCard Upload

SNMP

Simple Network Management Protocol - Monitering network attached devices

UDP: Printing

SLP

Service Location Protocol (finding out what things can do on the network)

UDP: Printing, Photo Card Upload, Scanning, Faxing, Installation

PDL

page description language - printer control language (how does the page you want printed look)

TCP: Printing

TCP: Scanning, Faxing

TCP: Scanning

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
HP Recommended

I'll need to know a few things before we get started.

What OS are you using?

What anti-virus software do you use?

What brand and model of router do you use?

What encryption type does your router uses?

What firmware version is on the router?

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

AV Software:  AVG

Brand and Model of Router:  AT&T DSL Router

Encryption type:  WEP

Firmware Version of Router:  Unknown

Off topic question, but for those with DSL experience, is it best to use a router such as Netgear rather than the standard AT&T router that is issued?

HP Recommended

To answer the off topic question first, Netgear and 2Wire, which AT&T uses normally, should be about the same in quality, so that shouldn't matter.  Plus two router broadcasting wireless networks that close together could interfer with one another.  If you were to get a router that AT&T didn't provide, you would need to get a standard modem from AT&T to replace the modem router combination to keep that from happening.  

Now on to the accutall problem at hand.  I see two things from the information that you gave me that might be contributing to the problem.  

The first is your encryption type.  WEP is actually the leaste secure encryption type you can use, and it can cause connection problems with the printer.  HP printers work best with the WPA-AES encryption type.  WPA-AES is also the most secure encryption type you can use at this time.  If you're not comfortable changing it, contact AT&T and they should be able to help you.  

The second thing is the AVG software.  It doesn't like most intra-network communication.  I don't know why since everything is behind the same router firewall, but AVG doesn't like for two devices on the same network to communicate with one another constantly.  Luckily you can tell it to stop blocking communication by opening the ports in the firewall to allow scanning through.  I'll list the ports at the end of this post.  

Try those things and let me know what happens.

HP printer ports

UDP

TCP

Acronym

Definition

Used for

NetBIOS

UDP: Printing, Photo Card Upload

NetBIOS

UDP: Photo Card Upload

NetBIOS

TCP: PhotoCard Upload

SNMP

Simple Network Management Protocol - Monitering network attached devices

UDP: Printing

SLP

Service Location Protocol (finding out what things can do on the network)

UDP: Printing, Photo Card Upload, Scanning, Faxing, Installation

PDL

page description language - printer control language (how does the page you want printed look)

TCP: Printing

TCP: Scanning, Faxing

TCP: Scanning

Signature
HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick response, I'll try and do this once I get home.

HP Recommended

No problem.  Let me know if it works or not.

Signature
HP Recommended

I think this fixed the issue, thanks again!

HP Recommended

No problem.:smileyhappy:

Signature
HP Recommended

I am having the same problem using a Linksys E2500 router. It is gotten to the point where the printer is almost unusable. Any suggestions?

HP Recommended

Did you try the solution that worked for the other user?

What printer do you have?  I'm assuming the 8600, but I want to be sure.

What OS are you using?

How is the printer connected to the computer?  I'm assuming wireless, but I want to be sure.

What anti-virus and firewall do you have?

Signature
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.