Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

The printer says it is connected on HP Connected status, but when i go to print, it says it is offline.  I am trying to print through our wireless network.  Both PC and Printer seem to be connected to it, but can't print.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello @StuB1 , and welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience!

I understand you're running into wireless issues.  I'd like to help!

Before we get started,  I do need a little information first. I am linking a few HP Support documents below that will show you how to find which operating system you are using. Also, if you're using Windows, please include whether your operating system is 32-bit or 64-bit.

Mac OS X: How Do I Find Which Mac OS X Version Is on My Computer?
Which Windows operating system am I running?
Is the Windows Version on My Computer 32-bit or 64-bit?

In the meantime, I'd recommend this document on Wireless printing center Troubleshooting Issues.

Please let me know what you find.  Thanks for posting on the HP Forums!

Please click “Accept as Solution " if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks" for helping!

Jamieson
I work on behalf of HP

"Remember, I'm pulling for you, we're all in this together!" - Red Green.
HP Recommended

Thanks - appreciate the help. 

I am running Windows 8 - 64 bit. 

The HP Connected web-page finds the printer and says it is ready / connected etc, but the computer says it is offline.  I have tried re-strarting printer, computer and router - sometimes this clears, other times, i have to delete the printer and re-install.  Just very frustrating and a waste of time.

Best regards

Stuart

HP Recommended

Hi Stuart, I hope you had a great holiday!

I would recommend following the steps in this document:

'Printer is offline' Message Displays on the Computer and the Printer Will Not Print: Windows 8

Please keep me posted!

Please click “Accept as Solution " if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks" for helping!

Jamieson
I work on behalf of HP

"Remember, I'm pulling for you, we're all in this together!" - Red Green.
HP Recommended

I had the same problem. I deleted the printer connected the computer and printer using the cable. i then dowloaded the updated driver from the HP website. The printer now works and does not give the offline message. Hopefully this has resolved the issue

HP Recommended

All I did was go to "Devices and Printers" in the laptop settings and I clicked "add a printer" and it automatically detected it from there. Simple and easy, none of the trouble shooting solutions provided through HP worked.

HP Recommended

It´s astonishing that HP has not addressed this issue in a more professional manner. I have been reading that some members of the forum/discussion group have been posting discussion about this issue since 2014...!!!

¨Gimme a break HP... haven´t you got any interest to see what´s going on with this problem¨...??? Just giving the same old lame directions... reset this... reset that... uninstall this... reinstall that...!!! It really makes you want to change brands...!!!

Ever since I bought my 8610 in Office Depot a year and a half ago, I started to get the messages about three weeks after I installed the printer. I never really gave it much attention because everytime I went to print, there may be a brief delay and then ¨puff¨... it would start printing. But then about a week ago, it stopped... DEAD.

Lots of ¨connected OK¨messages, lots of icons showing good internet comnnections on the printer and on my desktop... but NO connectivity between the two units...!!!

After much frustration and reading the discussion groups, I decided to connect by cable and BINGO... everything works like a charm.

I guess its time to look at other units.

Catch you later guys. 

HP Recommended

Hi! @ajclandhp

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I understand you have issues connecting wireless to your printer.

Don't worry I'd like to help you out.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps before reaching out to us.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

What is the router channel you are connecting your printer to?

HP printers can only connect only 2.4 Ghz channel. So change the channel settings of the router if it is set to automatic.

Also, a manual IP address to your printer and check if it helps.

Use the Embedded Web Server (EWS) to connect your printer to the wireless network using a manual IP address.
Print a new Network Configuration Page.
Locate the URL(s) for Embedded Web Server address.
   NOTE:
If the URL for the EWS is http://0.0.0.0, the printer is not connected to a wireless network. Reconnect your printer to the wireless network, and then print a new Network Configuration Page. Make sure the report shows the status as Connected. If the wireless connection drops, continue troubleshooting.
On your computer, open an Internet browser.
Type the URL address for the EWS in the browser address bar, and then press Enter.
   NOTE:
Make sure to type the IP address into the Internet browser's address box. If typed into a toolbar search box or search engine, the EWS does not open.
If a website security certificate displays in the Internet browser, click Continue.
The EWS web page for the printer opens, which confirms that the printer is on the same network as the computer.
On the EWS web page, click the Network tab.
In the Wireless section, click Wireless (802.11), and then click Manual IP.
If a Suggest a Manual IP Address option is available, click it, click Apply, and then reconnect your printer. If the wireless connection drops, continue to the next step.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot Printer Does Not Maintain Wireless Connection.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a beautiful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.