cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Level 1
4 3 1 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

Solved!

Officejet K8600 pro / CB015A Carriage Stall

HP Recommended

My flashing lights indicate a carriage stall. This happened when I installed my new duplex device on the back. I didn't have a chance to  print anything. I did everything I read on the posts that could remedy this. I also removed the duplexer and put the original piece back on the printer. I still get a Carriage stall. I have never received this error. Only after I put the duplex device on. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Level 16
Level 16
33,086 26,468 2,404 8,615
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The troubleshooting steps in this document may help resolve the carriage stall.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
4 3 1 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for trying, I have tried that a few times. I think it may be a sensor issue where the attachment bridges the contacts on the back of the machine, but nothing to do with paper or any piece of paper hiding. The problem occurred once I attached the duplex device to the back of the machine before I tried to print anything. I stood back and the lights were indicating a carriage stall right away. I tried to reset and this did not resolve the issue. I can't even print out a self diagnostic page. Nothing happens, but some movement with the carriage when I reset and the same error appears over and over again.  I even went through the steps with the factory piece on the back.

Again, I appreciate your suggestion.  Please, if you can think of something else or where I can get a tech manual for this device.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
4 3 1 0
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I will also add, that I have a technical background and given the proper service manual, I could troubleshoot and fix this. I have used every "solution" on the web that I have found.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16
Level 16
33,086 26,468 2,404 8,615
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The printer detects a carriage stall by trying to move the carriage and then sensing that the carriage is not moving by reading the encoder strip.  The contacts on the back just sense that the duplexer is attached, in some versions of drivers this may be used to automatically configure the duplexer.  The debug instruction for clearing paper jams as part of the carriage jam are because a paper jam can in some cases block the carriage from moving.

I did a Google search for Officejet K8600 Pro Service Manual and it turned up a bunch of hits, but they are mostly questionable sites that require registration of installation of download programs to download the file.  I did not find any trace of the document on the hp.com site and I did not find a valid site I would trust to download from.  YMMV.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
4 3 1 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I noticed that as well. I didn't really want to risk a download. I did however run a piece of paper through the back feed while the rollers were processing and it seemed to fix the problem. Not sure why. Ghost in the machine I guess.  I did that thinking if I disrupted its pattern a bit it might confuse it. Maybe that's what did it. After 9 hours of racking my brain, the issue is solved. Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 4 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well done! This fixed it for me.

The K8600 is an A3-sized headache. When it works its fine, it just getting it to work reliably is the problem. I know it is getting old, but it has been like it since new.

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation