Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 6830
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

I have an Officejet Pro 6830 replacement printer that operated in September after I received it. I have been gone a few months and shut power off to this printer. I am now back and have turned it on and receive a message that I have a paper jam. I check and there is no paper jam and push OK. It then gives me an error message 0x6100004a. There is a problem with the printer or ink system. Turn the printer OFF, then on. I did three times but still get the paper jam and the printer or ink system message. I attempted to look up the error message in HP trouble shooting, but was unsuccessful. Don't know how to proceed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

> I am not going to replace the cartridges at this time because next week I am leaving until March. I assume that I would also have to replace the cartridges in March and do not want to incurr the expense twice.

Good call.  Ink cartridges are volitle devices once you open them from the packaging.  Its a use it or loose it situation and ignoring your inkjet for a month or longer is a sure fire way to dry up your printheads before the ink has been consumed.  Best practice is to print something every week or so.  Doesnt have to be much, just enough to keep the printheads from clogging up on you.  Some printer models have automatic maintenance that does this for you.  Others have to remember to print or schedule a job to automatically print something for them and prolong the life of the printheads.

If you find yourself printing too infrequently and wasting too many cartridges then perhaps consider a switch to laser.  A monochrome single function laserjet printer can go a long way at minimizing the headaches invovled with maintaining any inkjet for most consumers.  Export color jobs to local print shops when necessary and leverage the scanner on your inkjet to maintain the full functionality you currently have with your officejet.

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

Please mark anything that is helpful with a Kudo.
When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

> I attempted to look up the error message in HP trouble shooting, but was unsuccessful. Don't know how to proceed.

Ox errors are related to the ink system.  See the following doc from HP for ideas:

'0x6100004a' error after a paper jam message

In general your printheads are likely clogged and need to be cleaned or replaced.  If your printheads are built into the cartridge then your best bet is to replace the cartridge.  Most people dont have the patience to properly clean a printhead once it has entered this kind of state.

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

HP Recommended

I cleaned the cartridges but could not get rid of the error message. I am not going to replace the cartridges at this time because next week I am leaving until March. I assume that I would also have to replace the cartridges in March and do not want to incurr the expense twice.

HP Recommended

> I am not going to replace the cartridges at this time because next week I am leaving until March. I assume that I would also have to replace the cartridges in March and do not want to incurr the expense twice.

Good call.  Ink cartridges are volitle devices once you open them from the packaging.  Its a use it or loose it situation and ignoring your inkjet for a month or longer is a sure fire way to dry up your printheads before the ink has been consumed.  Best practice is to print something every week or so.  Doesnt have to be much, just enough to keep the printheads from clogging up on you.  Some printer models have automatic maintenance that does this for you.  Others have to remember to print or schedule a job to automatically print something for them and prolong the life of the printheads.

If you find yourself printing too infrequently and wasting too many cartridges then perhaps consider a switch to laser.  A monochrome single function laserjet printer can go a long way at minimizing the headaches invovled with maintaining any inkjet for most consumers.  Export color jobs to local print shops when necessary and leverage the scanner on your inkjet to maintain the full functionality you currently have with your officejet.

HP Recommended

I have the same error message issue.  First, I get the paper jam message (when no paper is jammed), then when I clear it, I get the 0x6100004a error message.  I tried to access the cartridges, but the cartridge carriage seems to be frozen to the right, so I cannot clean the printheads, install new cartridges, or see what the problem is.  I cannot find how to release the cartridge carriage.  Thanks for any help!

HP Recommended

>First, I get the paper jam message (when no paper is jammed)...but the cartridge carriage seems to be frozen to the right,

See the steps posted here for help on clearning the carriage jam:

HP OfficeJet 6812/15/20, Pro 6830/35 Printers - 'Carriage Jam' Error

HP Recommended

Thanks, John. We already watched that particular video, but those steps haven't released the carriage.  To clarify, we don't have a Carriage Jam error message, just the 0x610004a error "There is a problem with the printer or ink system."  In reading the earlier thread, we thought we'd try to replace the cartridges since we, too were gone for a month, but when we turn the printer on (after doing all the steps as listed), the carriage doesn't move into the neutral position that would allow us to change a cartridge. And, we cannot manually move it to the center, as it seems frozen.  No matter how many times we reset, we get 1) the paper jam error, and the 2) the 0x6 ... error message).

HP Recommended

If the carriage does not move after rebooting and there are no visible jams blocking that movement then the printer may be shot and beyond repair.  OfficeJets often are not designed to be repaired when this kind of a mechanical failure occurs.  Might be easier for your to recycle this printer and persue purchase of a new one.

If you happen to have any warranty remaining on your printer then give HP a call for any support options they can offer.  No warranty means you would have to get a quote from a HP repair tech/shop.  Prolly not going to be worth it to repair.

HP Recommended

Bummer!  Just bought this unit in September.  Still under warranty, but a hassle none-the-less.  Thanks for your help!

HP Recommended

> Just bought this unit in September.  Still under warranty

Definitly contact HP directly for support then and take advantage of that warranty.  Follow up with us and confirm what HP was able to do when you are done so we can share with others who may have the same problem. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.