Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Is there a way to bypass the cartridge check so that you do not have to have color ink installed in order to print?  I need a way to print with only black-ink without the color ones.
Message Edited by BillDozer357 on 09-17-2009 08:02 AM
62 REPLIES 62
HP Recommended

Hello.  I have the same question.  Did you ever figure out a way to print without the color cartridges?

HP Recommended

Same question!  No ANSWERS.

HP Recommended

The answer is that this model cannot print without both the color and black cartridges present.  The semi-permanent printhead requires ink to keep the printhead from clogging.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Well, hey Bob, I'm dying to know why I HAVE NEVER PRINTED A COLOR SHEET IN THE LIFE OF THE PRINTER, and yet I am always having to replace color cartridges--it's as if your car stopped running if you didn't change the oil after 6 months but only 25 miles---WHY MUST HP ripeveryone off?? Please answer and tell me how to override the "cannot print" message

HP Recommended

@guy-poky wrote:

Well, hey Bob, I'm dying to know why I HAVE NEVER PRINTED A COLOR SHEET IN THE LIFE OF THE PRINTER, and yet I am always having to replace color cartridges [snip]

If you never print color then you definitely bought the wrong printer.  Printers with permanant or semi-permanant printheads require ink in all the colors, whether the printer is form HP or one of the other manufacturers.  You would probably be happier with a black and white laserjet printer if you have high usage or for lower usage an IPH (Integrated Printhead) printer such as the Deskjet 6940 that allows printing with the color cartridge removed.  

For information on how ink is used in the printer see this page.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Bob....

You never answered his question.  How do you bypass the system to only print with black ink??????

There must be a way..

HP Recommended

Did you ever figure out how to print with just a black cartridge??

HP Recommended

@thecrusher007 wrote:

Bob....

You never answered his question.  How do you bypass the system to only print with black ink??????

There must be a way.. 

The question was answered nearly a year ago, there is no way to print without the color cartridges installed with this printer.  See my post above:

The answer is that this model cannot print without both the color and black cartridges present. The semi-permanent printhead requires ink to keep the printhead from clogging.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

I also feel totally ripped by HP...  Will ***NEVER*** buy anything from HP

Wrong model?  LOL Who want to buy a printer that empty 3 color ink cartriges after printing 200 pages in black color anyway?!? 

HP it's the last time you rip me off !!!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.