Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 28 (10,931 Views)

Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless Won't Scan Under Snow Leopard

The Officejet Proj 8500 Wireless won't scan on my iMac under the new Snow Leopard operating system.  Error message: "No Scan Options  -  refer to device documentation to troubleshoot".

Also, when I tried changing the scan settings in the Scan Destinations program, the program hangs up when trying to save any changes and then I must use "Force Quit" to stop the HP scan destinations program. 

The HP software update reports that the printer software is up to date.

The 8500 wireless still prints, fortunately, but now it cannot scan under Snow Leopard.  If anyone knows of solutions, I'd sure like to hear them.

Thanks much. 

0 Kudos
SEL Top Student
Top Student
Message 2 of 28 (10,905 Views)

Re: Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless Won't Scan Under Snow Leopard

I have the exact same issue and I just purchased the HP OJ Wireless 8500. I can print but not scan. I'm trying to install the Scan Drivers from the CD-ROM that came with the printer but that failed. I tried EVERY step outlined on the HP site for scanning and still get the "No Scan Options." I hope this gets resolved quickly. My 5610 that I "traded" to get the $50 rebate was able to scan in Snow Leopard
Honor Student
Message 3 of 28 (10,895 Views)

[ Edited ]

HP has posted instructions for people using Snow Leopard which indicate that you now have to go through the Preview, or Image Capture, or scan from Print and Fax to access the scan features on your printer.  The scan buttons on the printer no longer work, so you activate the scan through your Mac.

I tried it and am now able to scan on the HP Inkjetpro 8500 wireless printer by going through the Preview or Image Capture programs.

The HP instructions are at: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01846935

SEL Top Student
Top Student
Message 4 of 28 (10,893 Views)

I tried everything on the website and still no scanning. I have one computer that I left without Snow Leopard that can at least scan for now. 
SEL Top Student
Top Student
Message 5 of 28 (10,912 Views)

Here is a strange observation. I just added the printer as a wireless printer (Nearby) on my MacBook Air (Snow Leopard) and I can scan and print wirelessly. So, the issue seems to be when the printer is connected via USB to my MacBook Pro. I will disconnect the USB and uninstall and then try again with that computer. 
SEL Top Student
Top Student
Message 6 of 28 (10,847 Views)

I "chatted" with HP today and they had me call their new Mac team. After holding for a long time, I did speak to someone who asked lots of questions and then told me I needed to call Apple. Not sure what made me do this but I decided to restart my computer before calling Apple. Guess what, the Scanner has now appeared and all is working. Lesson - be sure to restart your computer although the system doesn't require a restart. All is now working with the 8500 on all my Mac computers! 
DVC Tutor
Tutor
Message 7 of 28 (9,692 Views)

Re: Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless Won't Scan Under Leopard or Snow Leopard

Can we back up. I'm still running 10.5, but will have 10.6 nest week. I can't get scanning under 10.5, which I'd like to do before trying 10.6!

1) Does hp claim the 8550 can scan wirelessly with OS X? Vista scan perfectly wirelessly. But, I don't trust hp to FULLY implement anything for the Mac. They have failed to do so with the 6100.

2) Assuming the answer is "yes" -- how do folks expect to be able wirelessly scan? I can't find any PRINTED documentation on my 8550 in the box.

3) There are multiple ways I have scanned using other devices in the past: from inside Word, from inside Photoshop, etc.. None of these options ever see the hp 8550.

4) hp has several "scan" programs. WHICH does hp "expect" should work?

In any case, all of them report "no device can be seen." Yet, I can print wirelessly -- although each job takes a full minute of processing for 1 page! So clearly there IS a wireless connection.

5) I can find no place in Preview that would initiate a scan.

6) Image Capture -- clicking the Twain button does nothing! What SHOULD happen?

Bottom-line, it seems the software supplied by hp can't see the scanner and the Apple software hp recommends to use with 10.6 -- have no image capture functions -- at least under 10.5. (The real question is why hp hasn't updated THEIR scan software! Who would think of using Preview!)

Sorry for the many questions and frustration, but while I can understand some issues might arise under 10.6, there is no excuse for scanning not to work under 10.5.

PS: why would anyone need to call Apple! It's an hp driver!

Provost
Message 8 of 28 (9,678 Views)

For 10.5 scanning is done through HP software ONLY.  Depending on the printer it is either Device Manager or ScanPro.  Either one should be in your Applications/Hewlett-Packard folder.  If you are having trouble, uninstall the HP software (using the uninstaller in the same folder as the scan software) and reinstall.  In your case it is probably not worth the hassle if you are installing SL next week.

For 10.6 it is best to just completely uninstall the HP software just after upgrading to SL, then do a Software Update.  Scanning will be done through Preview or Image Capture or Sys Prefs, Print & Fax ONLY. 

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
DVC Tutor
Tutor
Message 9 of 28 (9,673 Views)

You mentioned the hp software I was trying to use.

Under either hp or Apple software, the scanner is never "found."

One problem is that there is no install documentation. In fact NO docs on at all on the printer/scanner. Why didn't hp at least include a printer/scanner PDF?

1) Should I install and get the USB printer/scanner working BEFORE I install "under wireless?"

2) The SETUP function auto-runs on the Mac, but it doesn't says what it is going to "set-up." It simply jumps into fax stuff which I exit from because I'm not using the fax. Under Windows it asks if I'm going to use the fax -- which seems far better to me. Perhaps by exiting early from this setup -- the scanner may not be getting setup. But who knows because the function never says what devices it will set up. If only the fax, then it should be retitled Fax Setup.

3) So pressing buttons doesn't work under either Vista or Snow. How about Windows 7?

4) When will hp get their software to FULLY support the 8550 under Vista, Snow, and Windows 7? This situation is unacceptable.

PS: Somehow I doubt this problem is being caused by something going wrong during the install. Has anyone ever been able to wirelessly scan under 10.5 using the hp software? My old 6110 never could wirelessly scan under 10.5. I will re-install if only to rule this possibility out.

Provost
Message 10 of 28 (9,733 Views)

DVC, honestly, I would just mess with this after upgrading to Snow Leopard.  The problem sets are different and getting it working with 10.5 has almost nothing to do with whether you will have problems with 10.6.
I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation