cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
KeithCarlin
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 41
Flag Post

Solved!

Officejet Pro 8500 leaking blue ink.

HP Recommended

I am trying to disassemble the printer to get access to the back of the cartridge holding assembly. I am unable to remove the side panel of the case. Guidance or suggestions appreciated! If I find the leak at the rear of the assembly, is it repairable?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
IceLowe
Level 1
2 2 1 2
Message 4 of 41
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Keith,

I just finsihed a successful repair of my Officejet Pro 8500 

Initially, I also did not see any kinked tubes as suggested by Ciara, however, the black and magenta tubes were damaged near/behind the printer head sled. I think they disengaged from their guides and got jammed repeatedly by the sled.

To fix it, I used pieces of wire insulation that I glued over the damaged area. I documented the repair with pictures and some instructions, but unfortunately, I cannot attach the file here. If you did not dump your printer yet, you may want to have a go ... doesn't take too long. Send me an email, and I will send you the PDF document.

Here a picture of the repaired area:

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
40 REPLIES 40
Ciara_B
Level 11
8,714 7,731 283 651
Message 2 of 41
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Keith, I wouldn't usually recommend to take the printer apart. You mention a leak - does it look like the tubes are kinked?

1. Open the product lid. The carriage moves to the left side of the product.
    If the carriage does not move to the left side, press and hold the Resume button ( ) until the carriage moves. Wait until the carriage is idle and silent.
  2. Look in the center of the product for the four ink tubes that connect to the printhead, and then examine the ink tubes. The ink tubes should be bundled neatly, and they should not appear kinked or bent.
    Figure 6: Ink tubes, correctly bundled and not kinked
    Illustration: Ink tubes, correctly bundled and not kinked.
I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
KeithCarlin
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 41
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for replying. The ink tubes appear neatly bundled and are not kinked. Incidentally, the "resume" button does not exist on the 8500; the * button serves the same purpose.

By observing that the leak was below the ink cartridges, not near the print heads, I assume the defect is at or near the connection of the ink tubes to the cartridges. I am attempting to get access to that area so I can examine it to determine what is wrong.

While I understand your reluctance to "recommend to take the printer apart," that seems to be my only option if I am to repair the printer. And if it is repairable, that is preferrable to replacing it. I would appreciate your help in getting this case apart.

IceLowe
Level 1
2 2 1 2
Message 4 of 41
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Keith,

I just finsihed a successful repair of my Officejet Pro 8500 

Initially, I also did not see any kinked tubes as suggested by Ciara, however, the black and magenta tubes were damaged near/behind the printer head sled. I think they disengaged from their guides and got jammed repeatedly by the sled.

To fix it, I used pieces of wire insulation that I glued over the damaged area. I documented the repair with pictures and some instructions, but unfortunately, I cannot attach the file here. If you did not dump your printer yet, you may want to have a go ... doesn't take too long. Send me an email, and I will send you the PDF document.

Here a picture of the repaired area:

View solution in original post

Ciara_B
Level 11
8,714 7,731 283 651
Message 5 of 41
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi IceLowe

Thanks for the detail in your post, and the photo.

Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
stephenphillip
3 2 0 0
Message 6 of 41
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello IceLowe,

I too have identifed the same problem with my officejet Pro 8500 wireless and have searched the web for the appropriate replacement ink tubes.  Unfortunately, the tubes are not available.

Would you please send me the pdf with the instructions and repairs your performed on your printer?

Thanks and regards

swanybeck
1 1 0 0
Message 7 of 41
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'd love some instructions on how to get this printer apart to look at the tubes as indicated. I'm ot sure how to best get the information. Does anyone have any good instructions they could provide on this forum somehow?

BigJim0528
1 1 0 0
Message 8 of 41
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same problem.  Please send me the pdf.

R-L10
4 4 0 0
Message 9 of 41
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Kieth, Please mail me the details how you fixed your HP printer tubes.  Many thanks.

I am new to this and am not sure if i need to send my email?

KeithCarlin
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 10 of 41
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I was never able to fix mine. I finally recycled it.

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation