Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question
Officejet Pro 8500 "out of paper" error message
Replies (139)

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 11 of 140 (16,619 Views)

Re: Officejet Pro 8500 "out of paper" error message

I am having the same problem with my Officejet Pro 8500 A909a.  This is the slightly older version, not the new 8500 with the color screen.  Anyone have a permanent fix?
Intern
Message 12 of 140 (16,604 Views)

Well, the problem is back, so I guess I have to go through the reset process again!  Yes we need a permanent fix.
Teacher
Message 13 of 140 (16,565 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Try the steps mentioned in the following document. This is a hardware problem.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01728551

Thanks

Naveen K

HP Support Engineering Center

Click on yellow KUDOS button to say thanks

Edit by Katie_H (3/30/11): Fixing broken link

(Although employed by HP, I'm trying to address the issues with my sole willingness and my employer does not bear any liability for my responses)

Honor Student
Message 14 of 140 (16,561 Views)

If this is a "hardware issue" why does it suddenly work when I hit the OK button a few times when it says it is out of paper.  I do NOTHING to affect the hardware but magically the printer starts to pick up paper properly and print after I press the button.
Intern
Message 15 of 140 (16,588 Views)

Reviewed the latest suggestion and link. I have done all the mentioned before, the reset portion makes the most sence, but it comes back again a few days later.  There needs to be a firmware upgrade or patch for this problem.
Tutor
Message 16 of 140 (16,530 Views)

One of many apparently having this problem.  My printer is also new (1 wk old), and this failure occurs almost every time I try to print.  Unfortunately I only got to the 3rd sheet after a partial reset before the failure re-appeared.  I appreciate the HP posting, but it offers nothing new.  So far, I have not been able to change the feed speed as my HP Solution Center is different and does not have such an option (i.e., no numbers and no such choice as I scan all the menus).

Honor Student
Message 17 of 140 (16,557 Views)

I have this exact same problem. Really frustrated me. I took the printer back and very stupidly let the staples people talk me into just exchanging it......guess what? Same issue. This IS a software issue of some kind I am sure. When it says it is out of paper it is not even attempting to pick it up as far as I can tell. Press the OK button and low and behold it has no problem picking up the paper it says wasn't there a second ago. I simply can not deal wit this much longer. I am going to throw this one out and by another brand. To bad because I had an old HP printer for years that was so good. Specifically went back to HP but this thing is a dud. Also seems to take forever to spool up and print. Software is a burden.  HP please give us a FIX NOW! Reviews are starting to pop up on the net. You need a fix.

Honor Student
Message 18 of 140 (16,511 Views)

Same for me, They made a crap product!

Gonna call HP again.. we need a permanent solution!

Student
Message 19 of 140 (16,469 Views)

We have HP Officjet Pro 8500 and 8600 at work, they are new. These printers seem to have paper feed, multiple feed and out of paper errors frequently. Also some printers won't even print straight, when its feeding the paper it jams the paper.

Usually HP Printers are good, but these series, just seem to have lots of problems. Hope HP fixes them or they are gonna lose many customers.

Gandeleg

Highlighted
Tutor
Message 20 of 140 (16,335 Views)

What has not and has worked for me .... Partial Reset, replacing printer, different paper, fanning and otherwise adjusting paper, paper settings, all did not help.  However, cleaning the paper tray feed rollers has so far corrected the problem.  My first unit was frequently failing but I was too stubborn to clean the rollers on a new printer.  The second unit was very bad, failing on almost every multi-page print job.  What remains strange is that the first sheet almost always feed properly and the second or later sheet failed to feed, suggesting a software problem (vs. dirty rollers).  After much time in Chat with HP, I finally gave in and cleaned the paper tray feed rollers and the feed problems (so far) disappeared.  Cleaning was not as hard a I thought it might be.  I used a lint free damp cloth and by feel reached in from the front in the paper tray cavity and wiped the rollers through several spins each.  I sure hope this is the solution because this is a very nice printer otherwise.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation