Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Tutor
Message 1 of 4 (264 Views)

Officejet Pro 8500A Premium - can't this printer work without color cartridges?

I've used very little color printing since getting this printer, yet every so often, it interrupts a B&W print job, to tell me to replace a color cartridge, and it refuses to continue until I do! This is stressful when I'm trying to print a B&W job that my client needs!

But say I even didn't want to print in color anymore and just wanted it to work only in B&W. isn't this printer capable of that?

And is it using color every time it prints B&W documents for me, even though I have the defaults set to ONLY print B&W?

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 4 (255 Views)

Re: Officejet Pro 8500A Premium - can't this printer work without color cartridges?

Hi,

Please read the following article:

http://h10060.www1.hp.com/pageyield/articles/us/en/InkUseage.html

Printers need inks to work, w/o ink they will stop even during the warming up process.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Tutor
Message 3 of 4 (242 Views)

Re: Officejet Pro 8500A Premium - can't this printer work without color cartridges?

So it appears that these printers are designed to use up colors, even when the user is printing ONLY B&W, and will not work without constantly buying color inks. I see. It must be very profitable for HP anyway, but not so much for the user.

I suppose I should look for a B&W only inkjet next time...

Provost
Message 4 of 4 (229 Views)

Hi,

Not just HP, it's the technology. I only have 3 IIC printers for testing in my house: one HP, one Canon and one Epson, they are all the same.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation