Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@ REBjr.  - I understand that you are getting error message on the printer that is related to the print cartridges.  Are you using genuine HP non refilled ink in the printer? I would  start by doing a  hard reset to the product in an attempt to restore the printer to a known working condition and try to clear the error message prior to replacing any parts.  Here is a document that will provide the steps to the hard reset.  Also, is there residue on the black cartridge?  If so, I would look at this link here. It addresses getting an ink cartridge error message on the printer when trying to install a new black cartridge in the machine. I hope that this helps.

I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?
4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Dear Shirtzz1,

Thank you very much, resetting fixed the problem.

Regards,

REBJr

HP Recommended

Hi,

Do you still have these links?   The ones in the "solution" reply no longer work or link to anywhere.

I'm having same problem, but with Officejet J6480. And keep trying brand new black cartridges (right cartridge).

Thanks so much.

HP Recommended

HI there. I just replaced the black ink and the printer is registering that ther toner needs replacing. The printer will not print but I cannot get it out of error mode. I notice the links you posted previously re this error are defunkt.  The black ink is a compatible, chipped cartridge not a HP. It is not a refill. I also do not have the cartridge protection enabled. I'd be grateful for any help.

HP Recommended

Fizzeo,

Saw your posting.   I am post just before yours.

Those links haven't come through.

My printer uses Cartridges.  Sounds like yours is for Toner.  But it shouldn't matter.

And I did go buy a small HP black cartridge just to see and was still getting Error message.  Oddly, the color cartridge that has been okay all along is NOT HP and seems to work fine before getting message for Black/Right side one.  So for next Black cartridge, I will buy that 3rd party brand (OfficeDepot) that I've always used.

So, for the fix----

I just did a whole reset of the printer with the  computer.  And this is NOT the Reset that is described earlier in this topic discussion.

I deleted the whole printer software from computer,  go to--   CONTROL PANEL- to Programs - select my HP Printer from list and Remove it.

Then I started all over by using the drivers from the HP website for my model printer, and installed them.  And I also installed any UPdates that were there.

In fact, I found I could now use the printer over the Network and not by cable which I had to do before.  That was nice to find out.

I cannot recall if the first bootup after install cleared the "Error" message.  It may have.  But if it didn't, I may have rebooted the computer again, and/or turn off and on the Printer.

Either way, it all cleared up.  Good now.

Wish you good luck too!

Massachusetts

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.