Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Firmware downgrade worked for me as well. Thanks !!

As a note: I tried to run the downgrade program many times on two PC's in the office, both have Panda Antivirus installed, although I disabled the Antivirus software it somehow would not downgrade the firmware, the program ran, but nothing happened. Then I ran the downgrade program on an old PC in the office that has no Antivirus software on it and is very basic, that worked first time.

BTW I am running Win 10 version 6107on all PC's in the office.

This whole debacle has put me off HP big time !!

Thanks again to the forum for the help.

HP Recommended

Hi all,

I have already posted here a detailed English manual how to downgrade firmware in the printer so it accepts the older chip generation cartridges again.

Have a look at

[Content Removed]

It's a bit of hacking but it works. Adapted from a Portugese Youtube video.

Works like a charm afterwards, just don't forget to block any other checks for firmware update both in the printer web interface and in the WIndows drivers. HP masks it in the driver package as "HP software update" which may be confusing. It may not be just updates on the computer side but perhaps also on the printer side.

In any case don't hesitate to sue HP because this approach clearly violates the laws on fair competition.

HP Recommended

Same problem here. I did an update on my computer the other day and it snuck in the printer update and I never even noticed it. I have a BUNCH of things to print for class today and I have spent hours trying to fix this issue and nothing. I went out and purchased a new cyan and thought that maybe I could print then, but then the stupid printer said it was the black, then the yellow, then the magenta. every time i turn around, its a differant one! blah. they need to fix this issue. I purchased this printer because the ink last so long, not because I wanted to/or even have the ability to go out and buy a new set of ink every time they deside to "upgrade" the firm ware.

Missina

HP Recommended

Some user pointed in the comment to my blogpost that the link I posted on the guide where to download the older firmware was not working anymore because it got deleted.

I updated the downlaod link and added a few mirrors, including a version without the netcat bundled, as it may have caused the built-in antivirus to automatically delete an "infected" package.

Netcat is considered as a hacking tool my most antivirus software because it CAN be used for bad things.

If your antivirus is complaining and you are not sure if the file is safe then have a look at Google on "netcat for windows" and download a version from a website you trust more. There is a version compiled without the "remote execution" function that should be considered by so many AV software as bad, but even this limited version is sometimes causing an alarm. Then you could consider whitelisting it in your software at least for the purpose of fixing your printer.

By the way, the very same netcat is a regular tool present on GNU/Linux, being present in standard software repositories (content removed) ... it it would be a malware per se, it would be part of standard software available in the Ubuntu software center etc.

HP Recommended

I havent heard a word yet from HP in any private communication.  Suffice to say I have 2 law firms competing on who gets to represent me in this Magnuson Moss and Consumer Fraud action.  Sad but true, HP doesnt give a rat's *** for its customers.  Rather, they prefer to produce revenues the old fashioned way, just like Bernie Madoff.

Suffice to say, I am junking the printer, never purchasing HP again (and my enite office is HP), and selling my stock.  If everyone in the USA reacted similarly, I suspect HP would get the message.  Right ow, its head in the sand.

Shame!

HP Recommended

Brozkeff, im going to try this when i get home later today. I saw the deleted file before, so im hoping it works. I already had to come to class without my print outs 😞

HP Recommended

Please let me know how you progress on this legally, as I would like to engage in this class action suit as well. I have experienced the same issue, which I noticed on 9/13/16. It is a travesty that they woud operate as unethically as they have. Definitely anti-trust and consumer fraud happening in this situation.

Thanks

HP Recommended

For those of us who are not computer savvy, we cannot downgrade firmware, cannot do what apparently is necessary.  At this point I believe HP needs to provide the downgrade to us in a format that is easy to install.  Clearly they will not do that voluntarily--- they are the worst kind of thieves.

HP Recommended

We are having the same problem here. This is very disapointing. I am going to try and roll back the firmware, but I definitely want to be aware of what is going on with this problem and how HP is handling this issue. I have been reccomending this printer to many people and have even been considering upgrading myself to the HP OFFICEJET 8720 series printer eventually. I'm very disapointed that HP would release an update that would cause this type of issue and depending on how HP handles this situation my decision to buy HP again will be heavily influenced. Going to try and rollback the firmware as per other posts in this thread. Will let everybody know how that goes once I finish trying it. By the way, this problem just started happening yesterday (September 13 2016) on our HP OFFICEJET 8610... We also have an OFFICEJET 8600 which doesnt seem to have been effected (might just not have received the firmware update yet). The 8610 is in a different household about an hour away. They are less tech savvy - so I am going to try and walk them through the firmware downgrade over the phone.

HP Recommended

The firmware roll back worked for me as well.

I had to unpack it 2 times, as it was in a folder, inside a foler, but once I got the folder named "Downgrade 8610" onto my desktop and ran it (I ran it through the command line, and I had to do it 2 times, as the first time did not pick up for some reason) my printer screen went green like expected, and did the firmware swap, and I am back to printing with my "damaged" cartridges again.

I also contacted the seller on amazon who I purchased my non-HP ink from (JARBO), and they are sending me replacement inks with the latest chip on them anyway, just to keep me happy with them, even though this is not their fault.

That's how you service your customers.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.