Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Thank You, 

With limited computer knowledge I was able to perform this fix and safe at least $150 of 3rd party printer cartridges. Seriously doubt there will ever be a another HP in my home. 

HP Recommended

Ready to run the downgrade.

Ready to sign on to the class action suit

Ready to insulate my printer from the internet.

Can't trust HP...   sad.

So glad there are folks around who know ways to fix these illegal acts!

HP Recommended

What IP address needs to be blocked. Will do the same and also call the ink manufacturer who I did business with. I'm sure they know the deal by now.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem.  I switched to original setup cartridges and now the color is faint and untrue. 

I just spent 95 minutes (yes one hour 35 minutes) in a chat with support with no resolution.  The support chat rep  , Armond,  spent long periods - 10-15 minutes- between questions trying to stall I think  so I would leave the chat. He said he would send me new cartridges.  Then  he asked twice for serial numbers and model numbers.  When I  challenged him on this he failed to respond altogether.  This was after 95 minutes of me hanging in there. 

HP support is evasive and unresponsive.

I will not buy another HP product again.  

HP Recommended

I managed to downgrade the firmware and the cartridges are now working without issue. I also contacted the company from which I bought the cartridges and they told me that carts with the new chips will be available at the end of the month. They also provided me with a shipping label to return the carts that are giving the problem for a full refund.

HP Recommended

I hit a wall here. Before I left for class and before the new link to the downgrade was put up, I tried to do a reset of my printer. well the stupid thing keeps poping up saying the magenta cartrige is damaged and never let me finish the reset. So I have no access to the printer now. It is not on the network and even plugged in, I can't seem to apply the fix. Any idea?

Thanks,

Missina

HP Recommended

Looks like we need to install previous firmware and block HP from updates. I am currently set up for not updates according to my settings but it looks like HP updated anyways. Anyone know how to get old firmware for a Mac?

HP Recommended

Hello all, I've had the exact same problem with my officejet pro 8620. I'm using non-OEM cartridges, and having been using them fine for a couple of months, got a message yesterday telling me the yellow, cyan and magenta all appeared to be damaged

I've checked out the firmware downgrade, but can anyone tell me if this would apply to the 8620? Or would I need to find that elsewhere?

Suffice to say I won't be buying another HP printer..

HP Recommended

I am having the same problems as everyone else with my HP8610. I replaced the cartridges for the first time  on my printer tonight and received the dreaded "one or more cartridges appear to be damaged" message.  The printer is a little over a year old and from what I am reading, the problem is with HP and not the "damaged" cartridges.  I followed all troubleshooting tips on the HP Support site and nothing worked.  I refuse to go out and purchase 4 new cartridges when there is no guarantee that they will work. I can't take them back if they don't work, so why would I want to do that? 

Everyone is saying the same thing here and there does not seem to be a  definitive solution to the issue.  Firmware? Really? Why can't HP post a link to a file that will fix this?  Why should we go wading through many independent sites that profess to have a solution?  That is a good way to pick up a nasty bug.  Why would I take a chance on that?

Come on Hewlett Packard . . . do something to save your reputation PLEASE! Post a link and/or realistic solution to the problem .  Please.

If not . . . I will be replacing this printer with one from another manufacturer.  My first HP printer lasted for 23 years. Yes, you read right. Twenty-three years of excellent printing before it finally wore out. I replaced it with this one. I am so disappointed.

HP Recommended

To the poster above -- simply follow the instructions to block firmware updates and then downgrade the firmware... using the instructions provided on this site: 

[Content Removed]

I did already today and it worked... I agree with you - and am disapointed HP has pulled this kind of stunt but if you want your current cartridges to work properly again just follow those instructions.

disable updates by navigating to the "Web  Services Summary --> Settings --> Autoupdate off" on the printer itself.

Also uninstall "HP Update" from your windows PC.. and then follow the instructions at that link to downgrade the firmware. To obtain the IP address of the printer go into network settings on the printer and somewhere it should tell you the IP address.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.