Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I'm feeling kind of blond at the moment. I thought my printer was bricked, even the rep from Hp could not get far with it and I went out and got a new printer. quick recap, I tried to do a full factory reset because I could not get the link to the files down load to work, and when I did it, the printer became frozen on the "damaged ink" screen and would not let me do ANYTHING. through working with the Hp rep and going in through the computer, we were able to get the stupid 8610 back onto the network, but the ink would not move and the screen would not change, no matter what we did! I went out and purchased a new printer because I NEEDED it for my nursing class. but Im really dead broke and I kind of want that $159 I just spent, back. my old printer was only over 14months old afterall and my ink was 90% full. So I was sitting here tonight looking at the printer when I should really be going over my stuff for a huge test on Wednesday..but this printer is just driving me crazy!

So I turned it back on and it moved the cartridges! I was so happy! so I tried to down grade the firmware but it doesn't want to work. so I think Im missing something simple here..I think Im over thinking.

I have the "manual HP 8100 8610 8620 8630" ziped file and unzipped it. I opened the BAT file and updated the IP address to that of my printer. I also did the text document just to be sure. I saved it all. I ran the BAT file in the same folder as the nc file. the cmd came up and it just kind of sat there for a few minutes then went away. the printer did nothing. its still showing the error. i can't get off the ink cartage may be damaged screen still. what in the world am I missing?

Thanks for reading my rambling. its been a long week.

Missina

HP Recommended

So after reading everything. I still cannot download the file to fix it.

I did find this though and post it to facebook.

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2016/09/hp-is-blocking-unofficial-replacement-cartridges-for-its-inkjet...

HP Recommended
Like many other users, my new generic cartridges showed up as "damaged" on my HP 8610. This was the first time I replaced the cartridges since I purchased the printer about a year ago. I contacted Inkjets.com right away and they sent me cartridges that were supposedly updated to work with HP's new firmware. Results: one cartridge still showed up as damaged and it gets worse-the rest of the cartridges showed low ink levels. I called Inkjets back and they apologized and said they would refund my money once they received the cartridges back. They are going in the mail tomorrow with the preprinted 1 day Priority Mail label they emailed me attached. I went to Best Buy tonight and purchased 4 GENUINE HP cartridges which cost almost as much as the printer did when I bought it. I got home, popped them in and my printer problem was solved. This time HP you win but just this time.
HP Recommended

Hello everyone, I was able to successfully downgrade the firmware and I thought I would walk through what I did (I am not a “computer guy” so please excuse my errors). I downgraded my 8610 using the following three files of which are available through several sites (Google search can be used to find these files):

8610_FW_1416_DOWN.BAT

farad_base_pp1_FDP1CN1416AR_nbx_signed.ful

nc.exe

First off, when I downloaded the .rar compressed file ( which has all three files contained whithin) my antivirus software spotted the “Netcat” program (nc.exe) and asked if I wanted to continue (most antivirus sotware will call Netcat a "virus"). I "allowed" the software and continued the download.

I  then opened the .rar file with the “7zip” utility (free download) and uncompressed the files to the above components (some versions of the firmware downgrade may be in a .zip file which can also be accessed by 7zip).

The next thing I did was unplug my printer (HP 8610) from the USB cable I was using to connect it to my PC (not necessary if already connected wirelessly) and uninstalled all of the HP software that was supplied with the printer installation disk.

I then restarted the PC and reinstalled the software using the "custom" installation option of which I LEFT OUT the "automatic updates" feature. The software progressed through the steps and I used the printer's wifi option (on the printer itself) to connect to my wireless router. I then verified the printer was connected by attempting to print the confirmation page but unfortunately HP disabled my printer so there is that :0/

I then went to the ePrint feature icon (on the very left of the printer home screen) and pressed it to reveal the “web services summary” menu.  I then pressed the “gear” icon > printer update > auto update > and selected the “off” setting (you may need to enable the ePrint feature before accessing these menus which also may require product registration with HP).

I then pressed the “return” button and backed out of that menu till I got to the “web services settings” menu and turned off the “HP ePrint” feature.

I then checked out my Ethernet settings by pressing > wireless icon (little antenna icon on the home screen) and wrote down my IP number (example: 192.168.1.XXX).

I then set up a “static” IP in the wireless menu by pressing > wireless icon > gear icon > Ethernet settings > advanced settings > IP settings > OK > manual (static) > I then set up a manual IP with the same IP I had before when it was automatic (you could use any “free IP address” for a static address however the automatic one will work for the update).

I then power cycled the printer (off and on) to reset the ink warning and print a test page from a document on my PC (or try). My printer spooled up but then shut down due to the ink carts being “damaged” (at least I know it was communicating at this point).

I then opened up the “8610_FW_1416_DOWN.BAT” file by right clicking on the file and selecting “edit”. Notepad will open and you can then substitute your new static IP (or automatic IP) for the one in the file so instead of “nc.exe –w 100 192.168.1.7 9100….etc.” you would enter:  “nc.exe –w 100 192.168.1.XXX 9100….etc.”.

I then saved the file by selecting: file > save as > “save as file type” (select) “all files” (same file name) and close Notepad.  The new BAT file is ready to use.

I then double clicked the BAT file and a DOS prompt window opened with the commands executing the automatic firmware downgrade via the Netcat software (this may take a few minutes to get to the printer). My printer made a chiming sound and shortly after that and a green window appeared on the printer showing the progression of the update. Once it was complete the printer reset and I was able to print with my aftermarket cartridges…. HOOORAAYYY!!!

As a last line of defense (to prevent any futher firmware updates) I went into my Linksys router menu and went into the “access restrictions” menu to disable my printer from accessing the internet. I used the static IP address I had created earlier to block any connection to the internet. This should disable the “ePrint” feature of which I checked on my printer to see. When I pressed the ePrint icon the printer stated that “the printer could not connect to the internet” which is awesome news ;0)

Thanks for the info DrRonski

Hope this info helps some people and may God bless you all!!!

HP Recommended

I successfully downgraded my 8610 printer. First I was on Windows 10 without antivirus, change the bat file to the IP adress of my Printer and start it. It opens for less than 1 second and disappears.  So I install Windows 7, also change the bat file and start it. It opens and stays for a couple of minutes. Suddenly the screen of the printer turns green that indicates the downgrade process. At the end I have a downgraded Printer with functional CISS cartridges.

The files I used to downgrade can be found in youtube. Just search for 'hp officejet pro 8610 downgrade', select the first video and in the description box you can find 2 links. Choose the mega.nz link

Sorry for my english. I'm german

HP Recommended

Missina

"I can't get off the ink cartridge may be damaged screen" issue.

I had the same problem and it seemed to have been caused by the carriage mechanism having previuosly tried to return to the right hand side dock, but not fully having done so, this after the cartridge service door was left open to long, while the cartridge carriage was removed and then the open grey clip handle caught and stoped the full carriage return or something like that.

After a lot of frustration, I did get it back to normal and did the following as best as I can remember.

• With the printer on, open the printer cartridge service door and wait till the cartridge carriage stops on the left.
  • Remove the full carriage, with cartridges in place.
  • Unplug the power supply to the printer.
  • Put the carriage back and clip in.
  • Gently slide the printer carriage and mechanism to the far right with your hand as far as it will go. i.e all the way to the RHS dock.
  • Close the printer service door.
  • Plug the printer power supply back in
  • Switch on if necessary
  • The error message should be gone.
  • Do not now do anything like check ink levels or print a report, just do the downgrade while in the home screen.

If the above method does not work, try it again or maybe try a full reset while doing it, it does eventually come right, but maybe try a few iterations/combinations of the above steps, before binning the printer.

Good Luck

BitbyBit

HP Recommended

Here is an interesting article:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-37408173

Cheers!!

HP Recommended

Hi folks

Please see link below from the Newsroom

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/hp-news/press-release.html?id=2335831#.V-EEGfkrLmH

• HP is constantly improving security for its products and customers.
  • Beginning in late 2015, HP implemented updates to the firmware related to the security chip in HP OfficeJet, OfficeJet Pro and OfficeJet Pro X printers that maintains secure communications between the cartridge and the printer.
  • The purpose of this update is to protect HP’s innovations and intellectual property.
  • These printers will continue to work with refilled or remanufactured cartridges with an Original HP security chip. Other cartridges may not function.
  • In many cases this functionality was installed in the HP printer and in some cases it has been implemented as part of an update to the printer’s firmware.
I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

BitbyBit THANKYOU! that worked! it cleared the error long enough for me to get the downgrade done and my printer is working. this is a huge help. i like the new printer but really cannot aford to replace a 14-16 month old printer. now i can box it back up and do battle with the retail store to take it back..and they will because i use to work for them 😉

Missina

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.