Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Thanks for towing the line! I think you forgot the part about being disingenous and a little late forthcoming with all of your customers. What about "We apologize for all of the massive inconvenience that you may have experienced," and "We will be working with our customers to resolve these erroneous issues." Sorry, I didn't get that from your press release. Instead what I got was your tech support claiming that my equipment was faulty and that I should buy a new printer with a monthly ink package. Seems a little shady to say the least. I'm sorry that you work for such an unscrupulous place and that you have to sacrifice your own principals to try and maintain the reputation of a dying company. I happen to be a problem solver though. Here's my suggestion: 1. Price your printers and other hardware appropriately. If it costs more to make it, lets pay for it upfront. If it's a reliable product  your customers will be there. 2. Standardize your ink cartridges. It will lend to cost savings for you and me, leaving third party producers with a smaller market. Customers will flock to HP or any other producer that would take on this practice. I believe they would in fact, corner the market.

HP Recommended

Thanks everyone. I'm going to try again tonight after work.

HP Recommended

This also links with this maybe, regarding the date?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37337989

The day after and all our printers stop.

Of the 365 days they could have done it, they choose

to buy a day before  the day of the big melt down.

HP Recommended

I successfully rolled back my printer that I need daily to conduct business at the dealership I work at.  I want to thank all the posters that gave tips on how to roll back the firmware, since HP is useless and obviously doing some nefarious stuff all in the name of greed.

To all you HP employees removing the posts and shutting down links to help those continue to use products we, consumers, have purchased non-OEM and OEM, shame on you.  If a class action suit comes into play, you best bet we will be signing on.  And we will be moving forward with a competitor for our new printers in the future.  You guys are terrible.

HP Recommended

did someone figured out how to do it with MAC OSX? :Crying:

HP Recommended

So, has anyone had any success installing the old firmware in the HP OfficeJet 8620 (non-Pro)?

HP Recommended

The EFF is asking HP to disable the restriction to disable non-HP cartridges: https://act.eff.org/action/tell-hp-say-no-to-drm

HP Recommended
Dear HP

Thank you for your honesty and appology.
I look forward to the release of the said firmware update that will rectify this issue.

I would like to mention that I would glady buy HP origional printer cartridges if they were not so absurdly expensive and overpriced. There is no reason for there to be such a massive pricing difference between your cartridges and those of alternative suppliers. By massively overpricing your printer cartridges, you yourselves have created an open and lucrative market for alternative cartridge suppliers, basic economics 101.
There is nothing particularly special, unique or costly about a small plastic container with some ink inside it, called a printer cartridge.
Price your ink cartridges fairly and you will have loyal customer support.

Appology accepted.

Regards

BitbyBit
HP Recommended

@BitbyBit wrote:
Dear HP

Thank you for your honesty and appology.
I look forward to the release of the said firmware update that will rectify this issue.

I would like to mention that I would glady buy HP origional printer cartridges if they were not so absurdly expensive and overpriced. There is no reason for there to be such a massive pricing difference between your cartridges and those of alternative suppliers. By massively overpricing your printer cartridges, you yourselves have created an open and lucrative market for alternative cartridge suppliers, basic economics 101.
There is nothing particularly special, unique or costly about a small plastic container with some ink inside it, called a printer cartridge.
Price your ink cartridges fairly and you will have loyal customer support.

Appology accepted.

Regards

BitbyBit

I agree - I would also prefer to buy HP original cartridges but its simply ridiculous when I can buy a set of 4 (Black, Cyan, Magenta and yellow) for 10$ less than the cost of a single HP original cartridge considering also that I have been using these non original cartridges for some time without any noticable difference in performance, reliability and quality..

Even if HP priced their cartridges slightly more I would still consider purchasing them, but to cost more than 4 times as much is ridiculous.

I like HP printers though. IMO they are the best. I really love the HP Officejet 8600 Pro Plus we have (and luckily this printer was not effected by this firmware issue) and I have reccomended several people purchase the Officejet 8610 (since the 8600 is hard to come by these days). I personally really like the look and design of the OfficeJet 8720 and am considering purchasing that printer at some point in the near future; however, there are no aftermarket inks available for it yet (952xl and 956xl) and unfortunately the original HP cartridges for that printer cost substantially more than the 950xl and 951xl used in the 8600 printer.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.