Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

When HP issues the firmware remedy it will be interesting to see if it works with the downgraded firmware as well as the crippling update...

HP Recommended

According to the following link: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Inkjet-Printing/Dedicated-to-the-best-printing-experience/m-p/5783870/t...

the update should now be available. 

I have the Officejet Pro 8610. I followed the instructions but cannot seem to find any new released firmware or software for this printer. I also checked several of the other models which are listed as supposed to be having firmware updates released today but cannot find any firmware/software released today for them when i look them up as per the instructions at support.hp.com/drivers . 

Am I looking in the wrong place? Has anybody else had any luck? 

I doubt they would post this, if they haven't made the firmware update available.

HP Recommended

Looks like there was just a delay. It is available now.

HP Recommended

I wanted to make you aware that I used Custom insallation when I set up my 8610 and still got the forced firmware download.  I STRONGLY suggest you uninstall the software on all your PCs and reinstall it. 

In addition to leaving out the Auto Update feature through Custom Installation, YOU MUST READ THE ENTIRE LICENSE AGREEMENT.  Do not just click Accept.  The last page has PARAGRAPHS THAT OVERRIDE WHATEVER YOU DO DURING SOFTWARE INSTALLATION.

You must uncheck those paragraphs or you give HP permission to update your printer regardless.

B@stards!

HP Recommended

The post here indicates the new firmware is now available for download.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

The firmware downgrade worked for my HP8610.  

BE CAREFULL.  THE FIRMWARE INCLUDES A PRE-CHECKED OPTION TO INSTALL HP ASSIST.

You'd have to be a fool to leave it checked.

Re-install the printer software on your computer and READ THE LAST PAGE OF THE LICENSE AGREEMENT.  Uncheck the paragraphs that allow updates.

I TURNED OFF INTERNET ACCESS FOR MY HP8610 ON MY BELKIN ROUTER.

Hopefully, if the printer can't access the internet HP won't be able to screw with it.  Who knows, maybe the {Content Removed}
will figure out a way to access it through my computer!

HP Recommended

So I downloaded the firmware and it did the trick but i did not get an option to uncheck the hp assist is there a way to remove it afterwards?

HP Recommended

Uninstall the SOFTWARE on your computer(s) and reinstall it without Assist. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.