Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I stupidly even went and bought some new generic cartridges today and fitted them, still the same error message.

What a waste of money !!

HP Recommended

@JamesonThornton I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details). If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I Work for HP
HP Recommended

Today, my HP also tells me, hey guess what, that cartridge you put in 2 weeks ago and used one time is damaged now. I'll let you print about 1/4 of a page before I tell you, just so you know it actually works.

So if the ink I bought and have on hand won't work in my printer because it has an older chip on it, what recourse do I have? This cartridge worked fine before my printer was updated automatically. Will there be an OTA patch to restore functionality to the cart I was happily using? I have 2 more in box that I took out and tried. Guess what, none work. They are all "broken" because I purchased them 4 months ago to have when I need them.

how can I be guaranteed that if I go to the store and buy an ink cart off the shelf, even a brand new overpriced genuine HP cart, that it will have the latest chip. How can I tell from the box that the one I buy hasn't been sitting long enough to have the "old" chip in it? How do I keep from wasting MORE money? I'm already out $100 from the ink I have sitting here brand new that I can't use.

i am very upset with HP right now.

HP Recommended

What about the rest of us?

We are all having a problem at the same time. I see a lot of posts from today.

It is clearly an issue with the firmware update blocking our previously functional ink carts.

I don't want to return my printer, I just want it to work.

How about exchanging carts for those of us impacted. Even if they are not genuine HP carts. It's not the fault of any of us that you blocked them from working. When I install a cart from another manufacturer I get a message that the print quality can't be guaranteed since it is not genuine. There is no message saying that the cart might stop working, or cause any issues aside from quality.

HP Recommended

Same thing here too. Spent 2 hours trying to get it to work til finally finding the hack/fix.

Download this file: (removed content)

You will need the program winRAR to open it I believe. You have to unzip the downgrade 8610.rar file into a normal folder, or you can just drag the contents of it onto the desktop.

Then you need to open the 8610_FW_1416_DOWN.BAT file using notepad

Edit the 192.168.1.7 number to be the IP address of your printer. (google how it find it if you don't know)

Then close and save the bat file in notepad, then double on the editid bat file which should open a window, then wait a few minutes. I had to run it again cause it didn't work the first time, but then instantly the cartrages worked again.

HP Recommended

Not sure if I can correctly apply the downgrade file but suffice it to say you've ruined my printer as well. This is clearly not a coincidence and is the fault of some bad code inserted either in error or with willful intent.

I will be posting on every social media there is until a fix put in place and if there is evidence of fraudulent activity approproate legal actions should be investigated.

Amazing to me there hasn't yet been a more direct response to this flood of failing printers. You guys need to get busy because we're not a happy group.

HP Recommended

I tried the downgrade file and it did not work. Is there some indication that it is doing what it is supposed to?  I get the command line screen to pop up for about 30 seconds but no change on my printer.  I'm positive I'm using the right IP address. Any ideas?

HP Recommended

I'll be darned. you have to edit the text file with your printer's ip addy then save it but adsd .bat to the file name. It replaces other batch file then click on it. Now I nee to quick figure out how to stop another update.

HP Recommended

It seems to have worked so I shut off my printer. Hoiw do I stop further updates? Should have done that first.

HP Recommended

I wanted to caveat my previous statement.  Apparently, I missed the part about running from a normal folder (I created a "Fix_My_Piece_of_Crap_HP" folder and dragged and dropped the files there.  Once there it took about 4 tries of running the batch file before it sent my printer into reboot mode and now I have usable cartriges again! Awesome fix, thanks for the help! 

By the way, my autoupdate was turned off and I still was hit with this! I made sure this will not happen again by going into my router, giving my printer a static IP address and refusing connection to the internet to that IP address.  Now I can print wirelessly but it won't get updates.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.