cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
trtaylor
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Officejet Pro 8620 alternate driver?

HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8620
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

What is the recommended alternative driver to use when using an Officejet Pro 8620 with Windows 7 (64 bit)?

The printer does not work using the 8620 drivers downloaded from the HP website. This is the second computer I am installing this printer in and it was required to use alternative drivers on the last install (also Windows 7 64 bit).

Thank you.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Bob_Headrick
Level 16
Level 16
33,310 26,665 2,425 8,966
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What problem do you have in installing the Officejet Pro 8620 driver in Windows 7?  I used to use the supplied driver for my Officejet Pro 8620 before I upgraded to the Deskjet 6980 driver and later to Windows 10 (still using the Deskjet 6980 driver).

The Deskjet 6980 driver is compatible with the Officejet Pro 8600 series (including the 8620) and provides page order as well as other features missing from the Officejet Pro 8620 driver including:

• Page Order
  • Resizing options, including page scaling by % or shrink to fit, 
  • Copy Count (with optional collating)
  • Mirror Imaging (for printing T-Shirt transfers or decals)
  • Watermarks
  • Advanced Color (Brightness, Saturation and Color tone, individual sliders for CMYK)
  • Overspray 
  • Dry Time

The Deskjet 6980 driver can be installed as follows (instructions are for Windows 7, other versions would be similar):  Devices and Printers folder, right click on the Officejet 8620, select Printer Properties, Advanced, New Driver, Next, Windows Update, wait a while for the page to refresh, then select the HP Deskjet 6980 (HP) driver, OK.  It may be desirable to change the name back to Officejet Pro 8620:  right click on the Printer, Printer Properties, General, type in the desired printer name, Apply.  While there it may be necessary to enable the duplexer:  click the Device Settings tab, set the duplex unit to Installed, Apply, OK.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"

AmyShan
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your detailed answer. So far, each time I run Windows Update to find the recommended driver it says to try again later, and it is not already listed. I will keep trying, but I get the feeling this will keep happening. Maybe I can download the driver elsewhere...

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation