Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I am having the same issue. I am really angry because I rarely use my printer but when I do I expect it to work. Futhermore, I had just replaced the ink. I bought a much smaller printer by Brother, that I use more frequently and I haven't had a problem yet. It seems that all the products I buy  made by HP just doesnt last long. I am also having a problem with my HP laptop therefore I am typing this message on my reliable Toshiba. I have had enough. I am selling my printer on Craigslist and saying good riddens.

HP Recommended
Please Help  

I was advised by HP Tech Support that the printheads were bad.  I would not have purchased them otherwise.  I was told that they were opened.  Of course they were opened, thats how I found out they were fective.  I have the receipt of purchase as well. nAs a loyal HP customer can you do anything about that under the circumstance?

PC {Personal Information Removed}
C8192A MODEL: HP Officejet Pro L7780 All-in-One Printer WARRANTY:  
HP Recommended

I recently had a similar problem with lines through colors and missing text in black print. I saw that some users had taken out their printheads and dipped just the bottom of the printhead in about a 1/2 inch of hot water, then wipe them off on a paper towel a few times.

Works like new again!

HP Recommended

My HP 7780 is about three years old. The MCprinthead started to miss lines. I purchased an HP replacement and it ran for a bit, but now reports printhead problems. I've carefully retraced the installation steps as described in http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=3601421&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=3601421&objectID=c01628836

But still no joy ... are there any other things that I shhhould try ... apart from getting a replacement printhead (under warranty)?

billmill

HP Recommended

Have you tried a printhead cleaning? Here's the support doc for fixing print quality problems like missing lines: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01957673

I work on HP's behalf.
HP Recommended

When you take the printhead out, you may notice ink has gotten onto the contacts of both the printhead and where the electrilc "contacts" meet up with the respective connection points inside the printer.  I used regular denatured alcohol and a que-tip to clean the printhead (printing mechanism) and the contacts as well as the contact points inside the printer.  I cleaned & cleaned & cleaned for as long as it took until I saw no print residue being left on the que-tip.  It's somewhat of a messy job and a little difficult getting to the contacts (I have relatively large hands) in the printer but it CAN be done and just takes some patience.  Once cleaned, the printer worked pretty well, however it still showed signs of streaking on occasion so I started printing some documents in hi-resolution.  Although its a waste of ink, it appears to help and I'm guessing that it helps clear out the little pores where ink is sprayed onto the paper.

Hope this helps and good luck!

HP Recommended

Thank you for the solution posted in February of 2012 by Mercey. I used it on the Cyan/Magenta print head and it worked great, ending several hours of frustration! I didn't have any non-acetone nail polish remover though, so I just used a damp paper towel and a Q-tip.

HP Recommended

I'm  having the same problem with my printerhead message regarding the blk /yellow i did all the procedures to clean the heads with the qu tip and turn it off and on . I spent over an hour on the phone with a HP supervizor and the final suggestion she came up was selling me a new printer model 8600 because if i buy the two new printerheads for mine  it would cost the same amount for a new printer . My question is should i buy this new printer at 122.00 + 19.00 for warrity or should i try another company? any suggestions to my promblem will be greatly appreciated

HP Recommended

I have had all the same problems with printer cartridges and printer heads that the majority of the users on this forum have had with the L7780.  It is absolutely bizarre to me that my printer works just fine, yet at the very moment my printer cartridges expiration date came due (which customers amongst you even knew there was an expiration date for printer cartridges?!), the printer ceased to print until I replaced them.  I took said printer cartridges to local Cartridge World and they weighed them and told me all cartridges I brought them were at least 50% full of ink.  Nothing quite says "Screw the customer!" more than disabling their printer because of an arbitrary expiration date which I was not even expecting.  To make matters worse, after I spent a fortune on new Cartridge World printer cartridges, the printer cartridge messages went away only to now start showing me messages saying my printer heads were expired.  HP will state that the whole reason for the expiration date is to protect the printer from bad ink, thus protect the customer from bad ink ruining the printer.  Is anyone really gullible enough to buy that line?  Again, let me reiterate that the printer was working just fine until all these printer cartridges and printer head expiration messages started showing up.  If nothing else can be said about HP, they are certainly creative when it comes to milking the customer for his or her last dime.  They got me playing the sucker with the printer cartridges, but I won't be buying the printer heads.  I will be purchasing a new printer, but it **bleep** sure won't be an HP printer.  With their trickery, HP has managed to lose a customer in me.

HP Recommended

I fixed mine!

My problem developed after installing a new serviced print head that had been working but the cartridges were run too low (see ink owl for tool, $22 on amazon)  What I found after inspecting the good vs bad printhead slot inside the printer was that the ribbon on the back of the slot which has all of the contacts on it was sliding down a fraction of in inch whenever I would put the new printhead in.  I was able to hold it up by applying a delicate pressure to it with a small screwdriver and it is installed successfully. 

For my case it was nothing more than poor build quality/design, but it can be solved with a little finesse and an extra minute of your time.  Hope this helps someone else fix their printhead problem.

Cheers

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.