cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Jorgisven
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Officjet 8600 Plus causing Blue Screen of Death on new laptop

HP Recommended

Printer: HP OfficeJet 8600 Plus

Laptop: Asus K53 style model

Windows 7 Home Premium, with applicable software updates run both pre-install, and on the second try, post-printer install.

Brand new laptop. First thing: Install the printer using the provided CD as a local USB printer. Successful. Sent a test print. Successful. Moments later, a blue screen (generic) crashes the laptop. No other modifications. Continue working to transfer data from a previous machine. Over the course of 3 hours, the laptop crashes twice. Laptop was returned to the store and exchanged for a replacement of the same model.

Start process of new laptop configuration again. After going through the same process, the machine crashed mid-print on a 10-page job, and crashed about 3 lines into a one-page print. Ran a firmware update on the printer (100025, I believe). Successful. Tried to find a newer driver but didn't find anything newer. Continues to cause the laptop to crash intermittently, and not even necessarily when there is a job being sent. The laptop has yet to crash when the printer is unplugged from the computer.

Did some research on forums. It seems this printer doesn't play well with USB3 (odd). I switch it to the other USB port, which is USB2. Things seem okay for a few days (at least less frequent issues), until another crash. Very general blue screen errors point to a software service, but aren't specific. 

Tried uninstalling all HP software. Did a clean install Windows certified drivers. Still crashes.

I'm fairly certain this is printer related, as I spent several hours working on the new machine with no issues at all. Within 15 minutes of installing the printer, I get a crash.

Network printing is not an option. Printing from another computer seems okay, but extended testing from another computer is not possible. Doing extended testing in safe mode also should be avoided, but seems okay for initial testing. As the issue seems very intermittent, but still very prevalent, I'm a bit at a loss as to how to proceed.

Used these relevant links in my troubleshooting: 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Install-Setup/my-laptop-dell-xps-crashes-now-after-p...

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Gelato_Soccer
Level 3
Level 3
32 32 0 6
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Jorgisven,

Sorry to hear about your blue screen issues, and have cover a lot already.

1.  Verify that your printer is connected to a USB 2.0 printer, as those are the recommended specification for the product.

I am an HP employee.

*Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left*

*Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.*
0 Kudos
Jorgisven
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I don't quite understand what "verifying that [my] printer is connected to a USB 2.0 printer". I've only got the one printer, and I already tried connecting to the one USB 2.0 port on the laptop, as stated earlier: fewer issues, but still had a blue screen error during printing.
0 Kudos
Mumbodog
Level 12
12,390 12,217 582 1,542
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Some latops only have usb 3.0 ports.

If you have Intel USB 3.0, install this new driver to solve the issue

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=21129

0 Kudos
ajain17
Level 2
9 5 0 8
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've had this issue for about 3 years now...strangely, I have 4 Hp8600 officejet printers in my office, and I can connect via USB on 3 out of 4 of them.  The 4th one, I can only print wirelessly, otherwise I always got the Blue screen.

After reading your post and updating my driver, I am finally able to print to the 4th one as well!

thank you!

Some latops only have usb 3.0 ports.

If you have Intel USB 3.0, install this new driver to solve the issue

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=21129

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation