Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Student
Message 1 of 2 (1,470 Views)

'PAPER JAM' messages with HP F380 and F2280 using WIN 7. OK with WIN XP using same printers.

[ Edited ]

Yesterday I tried to print a .jpg on A4 220gm Photo Paper. (I have a Samsung Laptop, using Win 7).  The printer (HP Deskjet F2280) stopped and I got the ‘paper jam’ message.  The photo paper wasn’t jammed and, when I pressed the ‘colour’ button on the printer, it rolled out - but the printing of the photo had stopped after about 1.5 inches.

I tried several times - shutting down my computer, re-booting etc etc  - but could not get rid of the ‘paper jam’ message even though there was nothing in the printer by then.  When I did get rid of the message and carried on printing, the printer always stopped after about 1.5 inches of printing and always started again – without printing anything -  when I pressed the Colour button.

I then tried using my HP Deskjet 380 and exactly the same thing happened – identical ‘paper jam’ message, identical stop after about 1.5 inches of printing. 

I tried printing a sheet of A4 plain paper in each printer.  No problemBoth printed.

I then plugged my HP Deskjet F380 into my old Philips Desktop Computer which uses Win XP, inserted a sheet of A4 220gm Photo Paper, and it printed a .jpg in best quality.  No problem.  No jam.  I continued to print a number of .jpgs in best quality on similar photo paper until the colour cartridge ran out!

So … in my opinion, the problem is within Win 7.  I visited the HP Solution Centre and checked for Updates.  There was only ONE, and I allowed it to be installed, after which I managed to print ¾ of a photo, on the A4 220gm Photo Paper, before the printer stopped and I got the ‘paper jam’ message again – but continued when I pressed the Colour button without printing anything more.  More ‘paper jam’ messages.

I have proved that my printers are OK so there is a bug somewhere on Win 7 and the HP Printer system.    I am over 80 (but have owned a computer since 1980) so would appreciate some help on this one.  I have Googled the problem but cannot find mine, i.e. where everything is OK on Win XP but not on Win 7.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Top Student
Message 2 of 2 (935 Views)

Re: 'PAPER JAM' messages with HP F380 and F2280 using WIN 7. OK with WIN XP using same printers.

It think it's a problem with windows period! I'm having the same problem with Windows Vista. I tried printing a photo on letter-sized photo paper and it also jammed halfway through the printing job, then spat out the paper without finishing the job. I tried several times after that -- no printing at all -- just paper jam messages. Yes, I tried HP Print Doctor several times, and it has no problem printing out test prints on my photo paper, but no photos!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation