Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Laserjet 200ColorMFP M276nw
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Printer: HP Laserjet 200 ColorMFP M276nw

Installation: Wired Network using PCL6 Full Software package (latest available online)

Problem:

When printing from certain programs (for example Test Page, Microsoft Word), the printer will print a single page with the following:

PCL XL Error

Subsystem: Kernel

Error: IllegalTag

File Name: kernel.c

Line Number: 1921

Printing from notepad works fine. Printing from other computers over the wired network works properly.

Troubleshooting Steps Performed:

1. Firmware updated
  2. Uninstall and Reinstall using latest software available online
  3. Changing Optimize for Text under the advanced tab.

Thank you for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

As explained above, it could be a driver fault, or intermittent corruption by hardware, or (as http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Software-Drivers/M175Nw-PCL-XL-errors/m-p/4940252 explains) the result of a recent update to AVG anti-virus.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

If the error is repeatable (i.e. exactly the same when reprinting the same document, using the same driver, to the same device), then it is likely that it is caused by a driver (or driver settings) fault.

There may be a more up-to-date driver available, or (depending on the printer model) you may perhaps be able to switch to a driver using a different Page Description Language(i.e. PCL5 or PostScript instead of PCL6 (the 'marketting' name for the PCL XL PDL)).

If the error(s) is/are random, they are much more likely to be the result of intermittent corruptions of the generated print stream between the workstation and the device (check cables, ports, switches, etc.).

With earlier generations of LaserJet printer, the format of the PCL XL error was slightly different (and conformed to the published language specification); e.g.:

PCL XL Error
  Subsystem: Kernel
  Error:     IllegalOperatorSequence
  Operator:  BeginPage
  Position:  173

With this information, it was possible to compare a (repeatable) error with an analysis of a print stream (captured using the 'print to file' option), and (sometimes) work out what was wrong with the operator at the given position (which indicated the count of operators up to and including the erroneous one), and hence (perhaps) to lead to a workaround.

With the current generation  of printers, and the revised error message format, the File Name and Line Number values are only meaningful if you have access to the firmware source code (i.e. HP and/or whoever they sub-contract to write the firmware).

However, if you want to try some analysis, you might (or might not!) be able to obtain some more evidence if you capture a typical (small, sanitised data) print job (using the 'print to file' option), then analyse the resultant .prn file, using the PRN File Analyse tool in the PCL Paraphernalia application, available via http://www.pclparaphernalia.eu 

It may not tell you which operator or attribute might be erroneous, but the analysis might yield some clues. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply.

The problem does appear to be repeatable, so I am going to see if there is an option to convert from the PCL6 to PCL5 driver.

If that is not at an option, then I may be stumped. This is a strange problem indeed.

HP Recommended

Hmm according to this web site, I do not believe PCL5 will be an option:

http://h20331.www2.hp.com/Hpsub/cache/344305-0-0-225-121.html

HP Recommended

Update:

I could not find any other driver option besides the PCL6.

Two windows 7 machines print fine to the HP. One does so over a wired network, the other does so via USB.

Both Windows 8.1 machines spit out the PCL error pages when trying to print to the HP machine over the wired network.

Any other suggestions to get the Windows 8.1 machines printing properly would be greatly appreciated.

HP Recommended

Not sure what to advise without further evidence.

if you can capture a sample 'bad' print job (with 'sanitised' data), using the analysis tool I mentioned in a previous post may (but may not) yield some clues.

If you are unsure about this analysis, post the captured file here (within a .zip file) - if you are able to attach a file - you may not be able to without requesting moderator assistance.

... or send the details via email to the support contact at the PCL Paraphernalia site, with a reference to this topic.

HP Recommended

I got exactly the same issue,with the same printer and the same error in windows 8.1 64 bits

HP Recommended

CAn you help us??

HP Recommended

pcl xl error

subsystem:  KERNEL

Error:    IllegalTag

file name:   kernel.c

line number:1921

HP Recommended

As explained above, it could be a driver fault, or intermittent corruption by hardware, or (as http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Software-Drivers/M175Nw-PCL-XL-errors/m-p/4940252 explains) the result of a recent update to AVG anti-virus.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.