Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
laxgoalie100 Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

PCL XL error

Laserjet 1320n
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi,

yesterday my printer was wprking great, but today I reciev the following error : 

PCL XL error

Subsystem: IMAGE

Error: IllegalAttributeValue

Operator: ReadImage

Position: 12

What should I do in order to fix it?

Regards,

Lydmil

1 REPLY
Distinguished Professor Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
3562 281 549
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

PCL XL error

If the error is repeatable (i.e. printing the same document, via the same application and same printer driver to the same device generates exactly the same error), then there may be a fault in the driver, or application/driver interface.

Check for a later version of the driver.

Or if you choose a driver using a different Page Description Language (PDL): - PCL5 or PostScript, instead of PCL6, assuming that your printer model supports these), then you won't get PCL XL errors - but you may, of course, find other faults.

If the error is not repeatable, it may just have been a random corruption of the print stream: if it still occurs intermittently, check/replace components such as cables, ports, switches, etc. to try to eliminate possible causes.

If it is repeatable, you may be able to obtain further information (which may or may not help with a diagnosis!) as follows:

The IllegalAtribute error is caused because an attribute value which is not valid for the currentoperator  has been supplied.

Analysis of a captured print stream would possibly yield more information.

You can do this yourself:

• 'Capture' a sample print job to a nominated .prn file using the 'print to file' option in the Printdialogue.
  • Analyse the captured file - you can use the PRN File Analyse tool in the PCL Paraphernalia application, available via http://www.pclparaphernalia.eu
  • The error is close to the beginning of the file (position = 12) , so should be easy to find; if you select the Show Operator Positions option on the PCL XL tab of the Set Options dialogue of that tool, this will show the operator position (number) associated with each operator in the analysis.
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation