Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
PageWide Pro 477dw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I'm running into a strange problem across a few PageWide Pro 477dw printers we purchased.

All units were setup in an identical manner, all connected to Surface Pro 4 units with the same brand/type USB cable and the HP software bundle was also installed in an identical manner.  The Surface Pro 4 units are all setup identically with the same software loaded and updates applied.

I have 2 users consistently having the issue where their printer will get "stuck" on a print job.  Swapping to an administrative Windows account allows me to clear the stuck print job and print a few different documents.  The problem will almost randomly occur again (anywhere from a few minutes to the next day) and the users will be unable to print.  I've seen 2 others not experiencing *any* of the same issues.

I was looking through the previous forum posts where people claimed that their printers stopped exhibiting the strange stuck print job after updating to the 1629F firmware and/or latest HP software bundle for their printer.

My issue is that our printers *shipped* with the 1629F firmware (so the update utility says no update required), and I simply downloaded and installed the HP software bundle off the product page (so I would say chance of outdated software is minimal).

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

I am having a very similar issue. It doesn't appear to be the print spooler because I can print jobs to other printers without fail. The one we have seems to hang with larger jobs, but not all the time. I hope someone else chimes in with a similar issue to prompt further investigation by HP.

HP Recommended

I am also having this issue. After installation right out the box, printer would run few test prints and jobs but would soon have jobs stuck in print queue. Restarting printer would not resolve issue or restarting computer. If print spooler were restarted then job would print but still remain in queue at times or begin to get stuck in queue again. Printer software has been reinstalled a number of times. The firmware has been updated from 1629 to 1708D which was recently made available. Problem still persists. User is getting very upset and seems that printer now gets stuck after first print job. This computer has also been reimaged in case there were any other underlying causes. This is a windows 10 64 Bit OS. Computer is able to print to other printers. The pagewide pro 477dw is connected to this computer via USB.

HP Recommended

Problem has been resolved. When print job was sent to printer it would print but not release job from print queue, therfore any other print requests made would hang in print queue waiting for 1st job to be released. The solution was to install the HP universal print driver.

HP Recommended

Was unsure that using the Universal Print Driver for USB would still allow for scanning to function via the HP Scan software.  Solved this problem for our users by going in a slightly different direction.  

Ended up reconfiguring each unit as network printer and resinstalled HP software bundle for the 477dw (selecting wired ethernet) as the connection type.

Very dissappointed with this product.  I recently recieved another request for MFP printer recommendations, and now have to preface the 477dw with the disclaimer that the setup is quirky and potentially not ideal for some scenarios.

HP Recommended

Install the universal print driver to the same usb port as 477dw and then restart your computer and printer. You will still be able to use the HP scan software from the desktop shortcut that was previously installed with bundle.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.