Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I am trying to copy a standard 8.5"x11" and the paper tray is loaded with 8.5"x11" paper. When the printer was set up  6weeks ago it was working fine but today it started giving me the "Paper size mismatch" error.  I have gone into the copy settings and tried setting the paper size as automatic and as 8.5"x11" with the same result.  I have had the paper tray both half full and completly full and made sure the thing on the back of the printer that feeds the paper around to the print head is fully attached.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi,

The following fix is for printing but please try it:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01824353

This could be due to the firmware too. Please use the following link:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02919168

Good luck.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

One of my supervisors at work ended up calling HP tech support and after quite a while on the phone they are sending us a new printer. Thanks for the help!

HP Recommended

After several hours trying to resolve this 'Paper mismatch' error on my 8600 Premium that I use lightly in my home office, including a couple calls to HP support, and when I was just about to throw it away and buy a new printer on Amazon, I resolved the problem!  I'm going to share because it was tricky and I only did this step because I figured I had nothing to lose if I broke the printer and was upset that this printer had done so little printing compared to my printers at work. I had already tried numerous things including updating the HP device driver (printer hardware driver) and HP the software driver for Windows. I am a software engineer and also good mechanically. 

First I unplugged the printer. I opened the door where you replace the print heads. I reached in with my left hand and grabbed the print heads that were to the right and physically pulled them all the way to the left. If you have tried all the other support recommendations (e.g. updating firmware, updating driver) don't worry about breaking anything. The heads may take some force to move, but move them all the way left. I looked in with a flashlight and saw that there was a crunched up piece of paper that the print heads had smashed against the right side of the internal cavity. I couldn't previously see this crunched up paper that was being hidden by the print heads. I don't know how it got up there and was hidden so perfectly. It was a test!

I then plugged the printer back in and waited for the printer to be ready. I pressed 4 times the return / counter-clockwise arrow button,  which is below the left < button, which is below the home button. Shine a flashlight on the printer panel to more clearly see these buttons. This brings you to the Support Menu.  Scroll using the right > arrow to the 'Resets Menu'.  Hit OK. Scroll using the right > to the 'Semi-Full Reset' selection and hit OK. (If this reset doesn't work first time, repeat it).

The printer was back and working!  How many people are throwing away perfectly fixable 86XXs that have a hidden smashed page of paper inside??  My printer was purchased in Jan 2012 and has only printed 7,672 pages (can get from printer status report) and should print many more thousands of pages.

Hope this helps and Good Luck!  

HP Recommended

@SiddySixty wrote:

After several hours trying to resolve this 'Paper mismatch' error on my 8600 Premium that I use lightly in my home office, including a couple calls to HP support, and when I was just about to throw it away and buy a new printer on Amazon, I resolved the problem!  I'm going to share because it was tricky and I only did this step because I figured I had nothing to lose if I broke the printer and was upset that this printer had done so little printing compared to my printers at work. I had already tried numerous things including updating the HP device driver (printer hardware driver) and HP the software driver for Windows. I am a software engineer and also good mechanically. 

First I unplugged the printer. I opened the door where you replace the print heads. I reached in with my left hand and grabbed the print heads that were to the right and physically pulled them all the way to the left. If you have tried all the other support recommendations (e.g. updating firmware, updating driver) don't worry about breaking anything. The heads may take some force to move, but move them all the way left. I looked in with a flashlight and saw that there was a crunched up piece of paper that the print heads had smashed against the right side of the internal cavity. I couldn't previously see this crunched up paper that was being hidden by the print heads. I don't know how it got up there and was hidden so perfectly. It was a test!

I then plugged the printer back in and waited for the printer to be ready. I pressed 4 times the return / counter-clockwise arrow button,  which is below the left < button, which is below the home button. Shine a flashlight on the printer panel to more clearly see these buttons. This brings you to the Support Menu.  Scroll using the right > arrow to the 'Resets Menu'.  Hit OK. Scroll using the right > to the 'Semi-Full Reset' selection and hit OK. (If this reset doesn't work first time, repeat it).

The printer was back and working!  How many people are throwing away perfectly fixable 86XXs that have a hidden smashed page of paper inside??  My printer was purchased in Jan 2012 and has only printed 7,672 pages (can get from printer status report) and should print many more thousands of pages.

Hope this helps and Good Luck!  

SiddySixty - You Nailed it.  everything you said was dead on to the problem i was having.  I pulled the paper from under the heads and did a factory semi reset.  Printed a copy right out no problem.  Testing the fax as well.  if that fails i will post some more info but i feel that will work fine.  THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!

HP Recommended

Thanks Siddysixty!! That was EXACTLY my problem and your solution worked like a charm!!

HP Recommended

If you are sure that there is NO MISMATCH IN PAPER SIZE, this might be the problem and the solution to your problem.

THIS WORKED FOR ME.

HP Recommended

I could just KISS you.  After doing everything else recommended, I followed your advice and sure enough there was a crumpled up piece of paper stuck in the far right beside the cartridges.  Removed it and viola!  Why doesn't HP offer this as troubleshooting technique, as clearly more than one of us have had this problem?

HP Recommended

Me too.  Wasted 2 hours uninstalling, reinstalling, installing firmware, plugging, unplugging, blah blah blah, and it was a little piece of paper.

HP Recommended

Thank you!!!  That tip is perfect.  I found a big pice of paper stuck to the side.  All work now! without any updates or setting changes.  YOU ARE THE MAN!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.