cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Megret
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Paper feed error j6480

When the printer takes paper from the tray, it crumples it up and gets jammed in the printer. I have tried two dozen times to just print the cartridge alignment page. It worked three times, but each time I got an error that the alignment didn't work. I just bought this thing yesterday and I am incredibly frustrated.

I have:

1. Cleaned the rollers with a slightly damp cloth towel and allowed them to dry for one hour.

2. Made sure the paper is laying flat and is not pushed too far into the printer.

3. Adjusted the arm in the paper tray so that it's snug against the paper but not squeezing or smashing it in any way.

4. Unplugged and rebooted the printer (four times)

5. Made sure the tray wasn't too full (there are about 50 sheets in it now).

I am using plain paper, HP brand. The error that comes up is "Out of paper," as opposed to "paper jam," which would be accurate. The only other function I have tried is the scanning, and it works fine. The top feeder works fine. Every single time (with three exceptions - the failed cartridge alignments) the printer takes the paper, it seems like one roller is maybe not moving as fast or as forcefully as the others. The paper gets crumpled. I pull the paper out, take the duplexer off to remove all the shreds of paper that didn't come out before, replace the duplexer, and try again. It fails. Please tell me how to fix this.

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
avirtuoso
1 1 0 0
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Paper feed error j6480

I just started having the same problems. This printer has been working flawlessly since last September.  I image I will need to send it in for service.
0 Kudos
Tackmakr
6 4 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Paper feed error j6480

I have a different model, but mine was acting that way.Can you tell if the main paper tray is all the way in place? Mine had 2 little black button things that slid in tracks on the bottom of the machine, I slid them into the other position & it worked fine. There is nothing about them in the manual.
0 Kudos
chip1942
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Paper feed error j6480

My Brother just had the same problem today and he called me. What we found after checking and comparing his printer with mine (same one J6480) that there is a box attached to the back of the printer. The two squeeze type butotns open the door so you can see the paper rollers. All looked good in there.

Then we discovered that the two white buttons on the side of the box let you take the box out, so we did and when we reinserted the box there was a definite click heard and we tried to print and all was well. Suggest you make sure that the box on the backo the printer is securely in place. Good Luck hope this helps you out.    Chip

0 Kudos
maak1
2 2 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Paper feed error j6480

My J6480 printer does not print but gives the message "out of paper" eventhough there are plenty of papers. Also, I can make copies so the paper feeder is working. Anybody has the same problem?.

0 Kudos
maak1
2 2 0 0
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Paper feed error j6480

The HP J6480 all-in-one printers have a pattern of "out of paper" issue. HP  should recall this product and send out voucher for a replacement. This is the last time I t buy HP PRODUCTS.
0 Kudos
Level 7 skippyjohnson
Level 7
657 636 44 135
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Paper feed error j6480

Here's a video showing how to fix a recurring jam on the J6480.

I am an HP employee.
0 Kudos
J6480_GearBroke
Level 2
22 18 0 8
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Paper feed error j6480

Did you know that if there is a broken feeder the video you posted WONT fix a broken gear which is causing the feeder error? did HP train you guys on how to do damage control on a faulty product?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
J6480_GearBroke
Level 2
22 18 0 8
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Paper feed error j6480

It is really sad that if you post a Paper Feeder error the response you get from HP is clean the paper jam.

when the fact is, there are faulty parts in this printer J6480.

I found an issue that is giving others a "Paper Jam" error message but there is NO paper jam, meaning its a false message because the problme is a part that has broken, but instead of HP designing the printer to reconize when this part has broken or failed it just gives you a generic "Paper Jam" error message and it forces you to either take it to HP for service, by another HP printer or find another printer and swap out the parts... in most cases people just dont purchase HP printers again.

If HP would just support their own product and give a recall for the part or a recall for the entire printer, they would keep customers and win new customers.

This was my post:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Inkjet-Printing/HP-J6480-Officejet-All-In-One-False-Paper-Jam-Broken-Ge...

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation