cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Stormwatertech Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Paper mismatch printing envelopes in MSWord

Hi:

I am using Microsoft Office Word 2003, SP3, on an XP system.  I have a new "HP Photosmart Premium Fax All-in-One Printer, Scanner, Fax, Copier", C309A, all in one printer.

Using Word’s envelope printing tool, Tools/Letters and Mailings/Envelopes and Labels..., the printer fails to print.  The printer's display reports a "Paper mismatch" error.  The only choice given to resolve this error is to press the "OK" button to cancel the print job. 

When a normal letter size paper is loaded, 8.5" x 11", to test this MSWord function, the printer works correctly.  Then when an actual envelope is loaded, the printer pulls it in a small amount, then stops.  The “Paper mismatch” error is reported with no other option than to cancel the job.  When the “OK” button is pressed, the envelope is ejected.

How is this problem resolved?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
mbcopeland Honor Student
Honor Student
1 1 0 1
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I was having the same problem today, I just solved it.

While I did not use the Word printing tool, I am quiet confident that it did what I did manually.

I am using Word 2007, and I set the paper type to Envelope DL (4x 8.5 roughly) and I changed the page setup in Windows to Landscape such that when I did a print preview things looked correct.

When I tried to print, I had the printer tell me to 'Load Paper' constantly. I too put in a full-sheet to print and that worked fine.

After reading your post, I returned to Windows, when I chose file->print I changed the page setup under the print options Features Tab to Portrait.

The Envelope image to the right in the menu flipped around to match the way the envelope was loaded, but it shows the text on the envelope image incorrectly.

Even though it makes no sense and implies the envelope will print wrong as any reasonable person would think, it printed fine.

Good Luck...

Blair Copeland

ICBM Consulting, LLC

OldProf Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I also encountered a problem when I tried to print an address on an envelope, using the Envelopes and Labels tool in MS Word.  It was a custom envelope so I set the dimensions in Envelope Options tab.  Then inserted the envelope in the printing tray and hit print.  The HP Photosmart printer told me there was a paper mismatch.   I followed the directions in the pop-up window from the printer, but nothing worked.  I changed the settings in printer preferences, and nothing worked.  Then I realized that the icon on the printing tray indicates that the envelope should be fed sideways (with the short side toward the printer).  I changed the direction so the long side faced the printer and tried again.  This worked.

0 Kudos
mhende01 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 1 0 0
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I also have the same operating system and office software. Not only did I have to flip the envelope to "portrait" (even though it actually prints landscape!!) I also had to select scaling for the #10 envelope size I was using.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
878 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Stormwatertech wrote:

Hi:

I am using Microsoft Office Word 2003, SP3, on an XP system.  I have a new "HP Photosmart Premium Fax All-in-One Printer, Scanner, Fax, Copier", C309A, all in one printer.

Using Word’s envelope printing tool, Tools/Letters and Mailings/Envelopes and Labels..., the printer fails to print.  The printer's display reports a "Paper mismatch" error.  The only choice given to resolve this error is to press the "OK" button to cancel the print job. 

When a normal letter size paper is loaded, 8.5" x 11", to test this MSWord function, the printer works correctly.  Then when an actual envelope is loaded, the printer pulls it in a small amount, then stops.  The “Paper mismatch” error is reported with no other option than to cancel the job.  When the “OK” button is pressed, the envelope is ejected.

How is this problem resolved?

Thanks.

Same problem as Thanks

0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
2,955 2,849 192 604
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi 878,

You might take a look at the following link to see if it helps.  Click Here 

Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.

I appreciate your input ! ___________________________________ _____

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
878 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I eliminated print on both sidaes
0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
2,955 2,849 192 604
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Did that solve the problem?

Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.

I appreciate your input ! ___________________________________ _____

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
0 Kudos
Secret3wishes Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

On an existing mail merge in Word 2010
Go to Start Mail Merge
Click Envelopes
Select the "Printing Options" tab
In the "Feed from" dropdown, select Main tray
Select the Face down radio button
My envelopes must be to the right (I have a Photosmart C5180) so I select the 4th "Feed Method"
Clicking ok will undo any formatting you have done and possibly remove your return address.  You may have to redo most if not all of it...

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation