Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 4260
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

We had printed out about 6 sheets of paper, when suddenly the paper quit feeding. Even though we had paper in the tray, we kept getting 'out of paper' error message. At first, we thought it was because we needed a new Black ink cartridge. But after installing the cartridge, same problem cropped up. It seems the paper is not being pulled in to print. We adjusted the paper guide; used canned air to flush out dirt; tried to clean the paper roller on bottom near where paper sits, but hands are too big to reach inside tiny space. We opened rear panel to check for paper jam, nothing there. Is it a mechanical or electrical issue? We've had this printer at least 5 years, really don't want to spend $$$ to replace it right now.

Any advice is welcome. Thank you.  

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@dle_61554

Welcome to the HP Forums. I would be happy to help you with your HP Deskjet 4260 printer. I understand that you are getting out of paper error message and you have already done some preliminary troubleshooting. 

Don't worry though as I have a few steps to determine the issue and find a solution as well,

• Perform hard reset on the printer.
  • Remove the power cable from the printer when it is turned on.
  • Remove all other cables you have connected any.
  • Press and hold the printer power button for 60secs.
  • Connect the power cable to the printer and directly to wall outlet.
  • Check the media and print settings.
  • Clean the rollers.

Click here and follow the steps mentioned in document to fix the issue.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried all those steps, plus the steps in the link. We cleaned the rollers in the back, plus what looks like a feed roller

in the front where the paper goes in. Still getting the message that the printer is out of paper, when I have a stack of about 10 sheets. 

If it appears we need a new printer, what similar model can we get that accepts the same 74 Black ink cartridge and the 

75 Color Ink Cartridge?

HP Recommended

@dle_61554

Thanks for the reply.

Superb job on trying the different steps to isolate the issue.

It seems to be a hardware issue.

I request you to contact HP Phone support for further assistance on this.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.