Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi all,

We have a HP LaserJet Pro 400 Printer M401 series(touch screen model) ans one fo our former employee applyed a password. Nobody knows this password and we need to change the IP address on the printer.

I'm looking to do a factory reset. From what I found on the user guide, the procedure would be :

Restore the factory-set defaults (touchscreen control panel)
1. From the Home screen on the product control panel, touch the Setup button.
2. Scroll to and touch the Service menu.
3. Scroll to and touch the Restore Defaults button, and then touch the OK button.
The product automatically restarts.

The issue is that when I touch "service" menu, the password prompt blocks me from going to the next menu. Is there an other way to do a factory reset on this printer ? A physical button somewere ? Something to do with the power button may be ?

Thank you for your help !

Oliver

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I found how to do it :

After performing an NVRAM initialization, reconfigure any computers that print to this product so that the computers can recognize the product.
1.Turn the product off.
2.Perform one of the following steps:
●LCD control panel models: Simultaneously press and hold the right arrow button and the Cancel button. Keep these buttons depressed as you turn the product on.
●Touchscreen control panel models : Press and hold the lower right quadrant of thetouchscreen. Keep the quadrant depressed as you turn the product on.
3.When the Permanent Storage Init.message appears on the display, release the buttons.
4.When the product has finished the NVRAM initialization, it returns to the Ready state

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Try : turn printer off   - hold down the 'X' & left arrow   - turn printer on  ...keep holding for a few secs...Then release  keys...

It should have done a NV RAM reset....

HP Recommended

Hello DoublHH,

Thank you for your answer. This printer doesn't have any physical button but the power button. It's a touch screen. :smileysad:

HP Recommended

OOPS   Not familiar with it , then...SORRY

HP Recommended

I found how to do it :

After performing an NVRAM initialization, reconfigure any computers that print to this product so that the computers can recognize the product.
1.Turn the product off.
2.Perform one of the following steps:
●LCD control panel models: Simultaneously press and hold the right arrow button and the Cancel button. Keep these buttons depressed as you turn the product on.
●Touchscreen control panel models : Press and hold the lower right quadrant of thetouchscreen. Keep the quadrant depressed as you turn the product on.
3.When the Permanent Storage Init.message appears on the display, release the buttons.
4.When the product has finished the NVRAM initialization, it returns to the Ready state
HP Recommended

Thanks a lot man, it saves a lot of time

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.