Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 1050
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi - I hope someone can help.

My HP Deskjet 1050 printer seems to be suddenly unable to receive or act on printing commands from my Pavilion 23 Desktop PC. I've used the troubleshooter to download the latest drivers from HP, both machines beep when connected, but the troubleshooter can't seem to install new drivers.

I'm stuck not knowing whether it's the printer, the PC or the cable that's the problem - or if it's something else. This has only started happening in the last month or so - prior to that, no problems. One other thing, I had to do a reinstall of Windows 10 (for a separate problem) fairly recently - could that be the issue?

I'd be very grateful for any guidance. I'm not a computer novice, nor am I a geek, so please be kind when responding!

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @Bucksplit,

Thank you for posting on HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. I see from the post that you are having connectivity issues on your HP DeskJet 1050 printer. Don't worry as I have a few steps to help you get through this concern,

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

How is the printer connected? USB or Wireless

When did this start to happen?

Did it happen after an update?

In the meantime, let's start by performing a Hard reset on the printer.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Let’s first try and make a “photocopy” to determine whether the issue is with the printer or not. Place a document on the scanner glass and choose “Copy” option. If the printer is making a good copy, then the printer hardware is fine.

I would start by checking the installed printer software by downloading and running the HP Print and Scan Doctor. This tool can diagnose and fix many printing and printer software related issues. Please use this link to help you with that information: http://hp.care/2biN2XE 

If the issue persists, I would suggest you try a clean installation:

Let's try these steps here:

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13 ). Restart the PC

14 ). Now click on this link: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL32611/al-109412-3/DJ1050_J410_1313-1.exe and install the updated printer drivers

15 ). Connect the USB cable only when prompted.

I hope this should work. Let me know how it goes for further assistance.

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. 

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Biswajeet -

Thank you for such a quick and detailed response.

I'm going to work my way through your suggestions, but while I do, here are the answers to your questions:

1) The printer is connected via USB

2) I noticed it didn't print about a month ago

3) ...and yes, it coincided with my having to reinstall Windows 10 - so I wonder if the problem might be there.

I'll get back to you once I've gone through your suggestions. Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Hi @Bucksplit,

Thank you for the replying,

Please take your time and get back to me with the results,

I'll be awaiting your response and would be glad to help.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Tried everything you suggested, in careful order and exactly as you wrote, but no joy 😞

This was the final message:

"Printer connection unsuccessful.

The printer was not able to connect successfully over the USB cable."

I did establish that the printer itself is working fine as a scanner/copier, and I did a complete reinstall, as you suggested.

What next?

HP Recommended

Hi @Bucksplit,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I would suggest here to try with a different USB cable, you could also try with a different USB port and check if that helps.

If this does not help, I would suggest you could try this on another computer. 

If nothing helps, I would personally suggest you contact our HP phone support so that they can remotely take the control of your PC and they can help you check the settings. Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone numberCase number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Keep me posted for any other assistance,

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi again Jeet -

Sorry for the long gap. I have only just tried all your suggestions.

I bought a new USB cable, and the PC and printer seem to be communicating at least (there's a loud beep whenever I plug in or remove the cable). I haven't been able to try the printer with a different PC (we only have this one), and the page link you included in your last email (for HP technical support) linked to a '404' blank page 😞

My hunch is that there's a driver issue, but I've installed updated drivers etc. Is there anything else I can try? It's very frustrating, not least because it worked fine until relatively recently.

Many thanks again.

- Simon

HP Recommended

Hi @Bucksplit,

Thanks for the update,

I'm glad you pointed out that as there might have been a tool glitch. here is the link: https://support.hp.com/contact-hp and follow the steps suggested in the previous post to create a case.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks again. I decided the problem was costing me too many sleepless nights and bought an HP Envy 4527. Which prints beautifully!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.